Which Do You Think is Harder on the Body, Abdominoplasty or Breast Reduction with Anchor Scars?

Abdominoplasty vs. Breast Reduction

+1

I believe the Tummy Tuck has a more involved recovery than Breast Reduction.  Most of my breast reduction patients are OK to go back to a desk job in 3-5 days.  But my tummy tuck patients generally need 10 days before going back to a desk job.   Please talk to your PS about your concerns.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Abdominoplasty and Breast Reduction

+1

The abdominoplasty will cause you the most discomfort in the first few days after surgery.  Patients describe it as sore, like doing a million sit-ups.  They never complain about Breast Reduction.  Patients say they feel better the next day.  Both of these surgeries make very happy patients.  Go for it!  Best wishes for a fast recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast reductions have minimal

+1

Breast reduction patients on a scale of 1 to 10 rate their pain in the 1-3 range. They typically describe it as a burning sensation. Interesting, is they have more discomfort when I perform liposuction on the sides of the chest!

abdominoplasty patients rate their pain in the 4-5 range describing a tightness more than pain. Some women compare the discomfort to Braxton Hicks contractions they experienced during pregnancy.

due to the abdominal wall repair, the abdominoplasty takes about a week longer to be up and around as normally as a breast reduction patient.

combining the two procedures is safe and surgery should average 3-4 hours for both procedures

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Abdominalplasty vs. Breast Reduction

+1

The abdominalplasty has more recovery for the patient, but it is well worth it. In my past, I have seen almost full recovery to normal function in 7-10 days following surgery. The breast reduction is less to recover from. Incidently, these are the happiest patients we see in our practice and I do them together. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon and go for it. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty is a physiologically harder on the body than breast reduction.

+1

Breast reductions are not particularly painful in easy to get over. In abdominoplasty when repair the fascia is involved can be painful and certainly requires longer convalescence.

Comparing surgeries

+1

Both surgeries are very well tolerated with minimal pain and downtime.  However, a tummy tuck will probably be associated with tightness of the belly as well as some incisional pain.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Breast reduction is less of a recovery

+1

Thanks for your question. No question the abdominoplasty has more of a recovery. The muscle plication that is done is the part that illicits the pain. It is common to perform these procedures together (TT and BR). Most of my patients say that they didn't even have pain in their  breasts while recovering from the two procedures. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

An abdominoplasty has a longer recovery than a breast reduction.

+1

A breast reductions recovery is 7 - 10 days until patients can return to a sedentary job, slightly longer if more vigorous activities are involved in the job, while an abdominoplasty recovery is 2 - 3 weeks especially if the muscles need repairing before patients can expect to begin feeling like they want to begin progressing toward normal activity. If muscle repair has been done, it's a full 6 weeks until patients are cleared to return to normal activities.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Harder recover: Breast Reduction or Tummy Tuck?

+1

An abdominoplasty is a much more involved and significant recovery than a breast reduction.  The muscle repair that is done in a tummy tuck is what makes the procedure more difficult to recover from and what can sometimes lead to prolonged discomfort.  Most women recover very quickly from a breast reduction.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction or Tummy Tuck Harder Recovery?

+1

Breast reduction, while a major surgery procedure, has a pretty fast recovery, especially when compared to an abdominoplasty with muscle repair. It is the muscle pain that causes so much discomfort. Several years ago we began using pain pumps routinely on all patients who wanted them for their abdominioplasty. They have caused no problems and result in a dramatically shortened recovery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD