Hardening on the Breast and Insensitivity on Nipple After a Week of Surgery

Hello. It has been a week since I did a breast augmentation surgery. I have noticed two things that are different in my breast. First, I can't feel anything on my left nipple. Is this natural? How long does it usually take for me to feel it again? Secondly, my left breast is harder. I have read some of the posts here in RealSelf, but they have had their breast augmentation for over a year. Does the capsular contracture happens right away after breast augmentation? I hope you could help me

Nipple sensation

+2

Nipple insensitivity in not common but can happen. It many cases it will resolve over a 3-4 month period but can take up to a year. The breasts are usually firmer right after surgery and soften over time. It is common for one breast to be more swollen than the other. Capsular contracture usually begins in the first year starting around 2-3 months. It is too early to make this determination. Be patient and follow up with your surgeon.

Hardening of the breast following surgery

+1
Changes in sensation are very common following breast augmentation, and these are almost always temporary. It will most likely ease in time. Hardening of the breast may be related to swelling, since you are still early on in your recovery. Tell your surgeon about this and keep an eye on it.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Sensation loss after breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your question.

The sensation loss can happen and usually temporary after breast augmentation.

Permanent sensation loss is  rare but could happen following breast augmentation.

Breast encapsulation can start after one week but is not likely. Usually the breast become softer with passage of time.

One week after surgery is too early to predict the final outcome. Your surgeon can help you and reassure you because he is most familiar with your anatomy and has more knowledge about the specific circumstances of your surgery.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Early healing after breast augmentation

+1

healing after breast augmentation

1. nipple sensation may be decreased
  2. sensation usually returns
  3. this may take weeks or months
  4. firmness is common in the first few months
  5. capsulses generally  start later

Breast Augmentation One Week After Surgery

+1

The loss of sensation you are experiencing may or may not be permanent;  only time will tell. Although encapsulation can present very quickly after breast lamentation this is very unusual/ unlikely.

I am sure your plastic surgeon would prefer you to address questions and concerns with him/her as opposed to online consultants.  He/she is in a much better position to give you good advice based on direct examination  and knowledge of your situation.

Firmness and numbness of 1 breast 1 week post breast enlarement

+1

Numbness of one or both nipples can occur and usually resolves over time - most within a few months though others can take up to a year.

Regarding the hardness, it may be related to other issues such as muscle tone, swelling or even fluid collection. Clinically significant capsular contracture doesn't occur by 1 week. Very often 1 breast is larger, or more sensitive or even more numb or firm compared to the other side.

Be patient and give these issues time to resolve.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Nipple insensibility after augmentation

+1
Relax, because although your nipple sensation will likely return with the passage of time, should it fail to return, there is no satisfactory treatment. The textural difference between right and left breast at this stage of recovery is not due to contracture.

Steve Laverson, MD

Implants and one week post-op

+1

Many women suffer post-op numbness of their nipples. This can be due to swelling and usually gets better over time. Often it improves withing 6-8 weeks. Commonly the breast feel very firm as well. However, if one breast is much different in size and firmness, it could be  a hematoma( blodd collection) and this should be examined by your physician.

Post operative changes and breast augmentation

+1

It is not uncommon to have some sensation changes on the nipple after breast surgery and 1 week is too soon to make a decision. As for the hardening, this is difficult to assess. One week is too early to have a capsular contracture, but there are other things such as bleeding or seroma that should be evaluated. The possibility of just having postoperative swelling is also an option. See your doctor to get a formal opinion.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD