Can Hardening Silicone Be Treated with Radio Frequency and Cavitation?

I have silicone in my buttocks . My massage therapist has been applying Radio Frequency and cavitation and it seems to be getting softer, is this a good way to rid myself from the granulomas I feel in my glutes?

Silicone in butttocks

+2

I assume you are talking about free silicone injections.  I do not think that ultrasound in the long term will help.  Usually if granulomas form, they need to be excised.

Treatment for silicone granulomas

+2

The only really effective treatment is removal.  The silicone particles are very small and cannot be digested or cleared by the body: they cause inflammation and the cells that do the work of isolating and digesting particles keep bubbling over with chemicals as they try (unsuccessfully) to do their job.  Once this process starts it is inexorable.  Surgical removal is the only choice for long term relief.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Silicone granulomas

+2

Sadly this is only a temporary fix. As long as the inciting agent is present it will stimulate the body to create scar tissue around it and try to into localized collection or lumps/granulomas. Breaking up the collections of silicone in the granulomas makes things appear softer but can cause migration of the silicone to areas where you do not want it and make its surgical removal more difficult. If the silicone gathers into a lump or granuloma it is easier to remove than when it is spread out and hard to localize.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD