Hardening of Breast After Ruptured PIP Implant Removal, 7 Weeks Post Op?

I had fluid build up on both breasts shortly after surgery, right breast swelled up very large so surgeon drained 'old' blood from it. Left breast went down & has now filled with fluid again, & right one is very hard and much larger and looks almost like implant is still in! Surgeon scanned them and said draining them could cause infection so leave and let body absorb, or fluid may solidify and stay there but wouldn't cause a problem. I'm concerned about the hardening of breast, your thoughts please

Fluid Collections After Implant Removal

+1

In general, fluid collections that are significant should be drained.  If the collections persist for a longer period of time they can form a rind and a cavity.

Post op

+1

The retained fluid is filling the empty space from the evacuated implant. The boby should resorb this fluid.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Fluid in breast pocket

+1

Without more specific details it is difficult to suggest what should/could be done.  It is probably best to follow closely with your surgeon.  If you are not comfortable with that, then seek a second opinion in person. Good luck.

I'm not sure where to start!

+1

Your question is unclear. DId you have ruptured PIP implants removed, any work on capsules, and new implants placed, after which you had "fluid build up" (that was actually blood) drained and implant removed? Why was your R implant removed if there was fluid/blood but no infection? Is your L implant still in place, in addition to more fluid?

I'm really sorry to be unsure of your sequence of events and what actually happened, but you have had at least two (maybe three) operations thus far,  and I'm unable to ascertain if you still have one or both implants out. The only thing certain is that you still have fluid (blood, serum, or lymph?) and your surgeon doesn't want to re-operate.

Yet that is precisely what may need to be done! Without more information, all I can honestly suggest is that you gather all of the specifics of your breast surgical history from beginning (PIP implants) to now, and see several ABPS-certified plastic surgeons in your area for careful evaluation and examination in order to formulate a reasonable surgical plan. Letting this just "stay there" is truly not a good option. "Starting from scratch" is no longer possible, but getting back to a healed, non-fluid accumulation state without implants in both breasts may be the best choice for you at this point. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon