Hard, White Bumps Inside of Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty a week ago, and noticed a couple days ago that I had a white string in the inside of my nostril. I realized that it was a stitch, and wasn't worried about that. What did concern me was the hard, white bumps inside of my nose right above the stitch, ending at the top of the inside of my nostril. I am worried the stitch didn't hold, and that there is cartilage grafts or something coming out from where the stitch is/was. It's not in the other nostril. What could it be??

After Rhinoplasty, let your nose heal

+2

You still have the steri strips and cast on your nose, so your are literally days post op from your Rhinoplasty and you should not be manipulating or looking up your nose.  The white bumps are most likely the nasal mucosa reaction to the sutures and nothing more.  I would allow the nose to heal and not touch or manipulate things.  You can ask the surgeon any of these questions during your post op visit when your cast is removed but for now be gentle with your nose.

Bumps in the nose after Rhinoplasty

+2

The bumps could be sutures, swelling, some early scar tissue.  Either way, it is most likely temporary and will resolve on it's own.  Ask your surgeon to exam it for you.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

White Bumps In Nose after Rhinoplasty

+2

The white bumps, which cannot be seen in your picture, are probably surures that have not dissolved. Have your surgeon examine you to determine what they are. He/she knows what was done during the operation.

Hard, white bumps inside nose after rhinoplasty require a recheck by your surgeon.

+2

The fact that you note these on one side of your nose and not the other may be of no significance, or of considerable significance, but only your surgeon can tell. You should make an appointment now, and do not wait until your next "regular" appointment.

In the meantime, do not touch or fuss with this area inside your nose. You could be inadvertently be causing damage or infection. Keep the incision area moist with nasal saline, or a tiny dab of Bacitracin. (Do not use Neosporin or Mycitracin--triple antibiotic ointment has a much higher likelihood of causing an allergic reaction, especially with repeated use, that can be confused with infection.)

Call your surgeon now; this is something easily checked!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

White bumps in nose following rhinoplasty can result from a number of causes

+1

White bumps in nose following rhinoplasty can result from a number of causes. This can be something as simple as edema (swelling), a cartilage graft that you can see/ feel through your nasal tissue or an extruding cartilage graft (graft that is exposed in the nose). It's impossible to tell from your photo but you should return to your facial plastic surgeon for complete evaluation.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

White Bumps After Rhinoplasty

+1

Your photo doesn't show the bumps well enough to answer your question.

The possibilities include benign causes as well as some issues that require immediate attention.

Alert your surgeon and have him evaluate as soon as possible.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after surgery

+1

Take a deep breath and try not to keep looking inside your nose.  There will be lots of bumps and swollen areas from the sutures inside the nose as it heals.  I am sure your surgeon can clarify things for you.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - hard white bumps

+1

It's very difficult to see from your photo what you are referring to.  However, if you have any concerns, I'd recommend you see your plastic surgeon to examine you.  I'm sure he or she would be happy to see you and answer any questions you may have.

Dr. Catherine Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD