Hard Plastic Material Coming out of a Wound Two Months After Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction two months ago and the blood supply was cut off leaving me in terrible pain and an horrific open wound that I have been basically left to take care of my self - now I find plastic strings (looks like a price tage) coming out of the wound- could this be affecting my recovery and why I have been in so much pain?

Breast Reduction and “hard plastic material”?

+1

Unfortunately, wound healing problems can arise after breast reduction surgery  or any other  surgical procedure. The foreign body material  you describe is consistent with sutures or absorbable staples.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will be able to manage the open wound areas and get you to the point where you can enjoy results of your breast reduction surgery.

Open wound breast reduction

+1

It sounds like the suture material that you are talking about.  This usually dissolves in many cases, but if the wound is open it can come out like thread. Check with your doctor to make sure.

Breast reduction

+1

Sorry that you are having problems.  Breast reduction is usually a very gratifying procedure.  make sure that you bring these issues up with your surgeon, and I am sure that he will be able to help you.  Plastic surgeons are wound healing experts.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Serious Breast Reduction Complication

+1
It sounds like you had a very serious Breast Reduction complication with wound separation. This is hardly the time for finger pointing and blame casting. Instead you should be working with your surgeon to get you healed as soon aspossible. For this reason, I am unhappy that you are managing this wound by yourself. Such a wound is challenging to surgeons much less non-surgeons, including primary care doctors and should therefore be cared for by an experienced Plastic surgeon. It sounds like the separating wound may have exposed inside stitches (? Monocryl ?PDS). Ideally, these stitches need to be removed along with all dead and marginally viable tissues to allow the wound to heal. If you cannot work with your surgeon for whatever reason you need to find another surgeon or be seen in a wound center. Do not attempt to continue managing this by yourself. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea