Hard Nodule in Upper Eyelid After Surgical Excision of Silicone Filler Lump. Is It Dangerous to Have a Revision? (photo)

I had a surgical excision of silicone filler that migrated from my cheekbones to my upper eyelid, forming visible nodules. 7 months post-op I'm noticing another hard nodule in the corner of my eyelid. No results after steroid shots. My surgeon told me it was remains of the filler, and recommended a revision. another surgeon said it would be dangerous to re-operate in that area,suggested asking an oculoplastic surgeon. Is it dangerous? please recommend a skillful oculoplastic surgeon I can travel.

More challenging and disfuguring to remove silicone in eyelid

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Upper Eyelid Nodule

+1

I personally am not convinced that your nodule is from silicone injections.  When injected properly, silicone does not migrate and does not form hard visible nodules on the skin.  I recommend you consult with an expert in the use of silicone to assess exactly what is going on with your eyelid before you have any other doctor re-operate. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD