Would it Work if I Had Nose Surgery Again and They Shorten It?

i had rhinoplasty a little over a year ago and i was happy with everything but the length and that my nose turned back a little . my nose was crooked and he turned it back but he did say it might move a little . if i was to have another surgery would my nose turn back again and if they were to make it shorter would my nose look weird and point to the ceiling ??

Long noses can be made shorter and crooked noses straighter

+2

It is easier to make a nose shorter in revision rhinoplasty than making it longer. As for straightening out a crooked nasal tip. That is sometimes difficult. A skilled revision rhinoplasty surgeon can likely make it straighter but not necessarily perfectly straight. We have a number of new techniques, including the approval of a product used for crooked noses in Europe for a number of years. It's called a PDS Plate. I find it very useful for revision surgery in crooked noses.

Shortening a long nose with revision rhinoplasty

+2

Revision rhinoplasty can usually shorten a nose that's too long without making it look over-rotated (too turned up). It probably needs some rotation (upward tilt) and that's where computer imaging can be very helpful in planning surgery and making sure the patient and surgeon are on the same page aesthetically.

As for taking out any twist or skew, this is more difficult in revision rhinoplasty but it, too, can often be achieved with a variety of techniques including clocking sutures, spreader grafts, camouflage grafts and fillers depending on the specific problem. 

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty to shorten nose

+1

There are many different techniques in the rhinoplasty procedure that can be performed to change the shape of the nose.  The nose can be lengthened or shortened depending upon the patient’s wishes and desires.  It can be widened or narrowed.  The tip can be brought up or down depending upon the preoperative considerations.  It is important to go to a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties and revision rhinoplasties prior to undergoing this difficult endeavor.  It is also important to have excellent communication with your rhinoplasty surgeon so you have very realistic expectations and goals prior to undergoing your second rhinoplasty.  

Revision surgery to rotate nose

+1

Conservative rotation of your tip should be possible. This should yield a natural result, not one where the nose is pointed up to the ceiling.

It would be very helpful to undergo computer morphing with your surgeon to go over what level of change would be best for you.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nose still looks long after Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, from your pictures, the nose appears long which is another way of saying that the nasal tip is under rotated. I frequently use a technique, in this situation, that trims the anterior septal angle with placement of an orthopedic 5-0 clear prolene suture that rotates the nasal tip up 10-15 degrees. In fact, I did this procedure today on a Revision Rhinoplasty patient that had their first Rhinoplasty done elsewhere.

Revision rhinoplasty and shortening an overly long nose

+1

There are two issues that you are presenting.

1. Shortening your nose without making it look upturned:  Your nose appears to be over projected making it appear overly long.  Shortening your nose would entail deprojecting the tip of your nose so it is more in line with your nasal bridge.  If one were to significantly rotate or upturn your nose, this would also create a shorter appearance but would not look natural.
  2. Straightening your nose:  This is more difficult despite more advanced surgical techniques.  The cartilage in the tip of the nose has a memory to it and despite the best efforts in trying to make it 100% straight, often times, the final outcome is an improvement but don't expect it to be fully straight.  In addition,  the nose sits on an asymmetric facial platform.  This makes creating a perfectly straight nose even more challenging.

In summary, if you would like to shorten your nose a little, but decreasing the tip height (deprojecting it) without turning it up, than I think this is a realistic goal.  As a side benefit, another attempt could be made to straighten your nose.  If your main goal is to straighten it, and you are otherwise happy with your nose, then I would advise against further revision surgery.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is very difficult to say from your pictures if you do have a long nose since you are smiling and in some patient smiling pulls the nasal tip down and nose appears to be longer than it is. Profile and frontal non-smiling pictures will help. If, however, you do have a long nose, revision surgery will be able to correct it.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shortening Nose

+1

As best I can tell with the pictures you submitted, you can probably shorten your nose. You have a great smile, but profile pictures without  facial animation would be helpful.

Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to a shorter appearance of your nose.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed the photos you posted. There does not seem to be much of a difference between your before and after photos. In your latest photo, your tip appears a bit overprojected and droopy. Well-performed Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to a more pleasing appearance.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision of nasal tip

+1

You should be able to safely shorten (turn up) the tip a bit without making the nose look too up-turned.  Consider morphing/simulation to decide on your ideal angle

Sam Naficy, MD