Hard Lumps After Body Jet Liposuction for "Double Chin"

Three weeks ago I had body jet liposuction done in multiple areas. I am pleased with the results on my abdomen and lower back. I also had lipo and muscle tightening done for my "double chin". My concern is that my incision under my chin is hard and raised and near the incision is another hard, long lump. At my 2 weeks consult, my doctor said that I may need "shots" to break up the scar tissue but he wanted to give it more time. Is this normal? My chin looks distorted. Thanks!

Body jet lipo and hardning.

+2

Any lipo procedure carries the risk of fat necrosis, hematoma, keloid formation and asymmetry. Body Jet Lipo, Laser lipo, Smart Lipo and traditional liposuction are just tools. The surgeon determines what technique she or he uses. The question to ask your doctor is; are you board certified in plastic surgery and how many have you done? If you get  vague answers; run.  It's easy to acquire a laser or body jet  but the learning curve is steep.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Insertion site lump from liposuction

+1

Regardless of the type of liposuction, an insertion site needs to be created for a cannula to pass through the skin and aspirate, or suck out, the fat.  In addition, power assisted liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, laser assisted liposuction, vaser and water jet, all need insertion sites for cannulae to be inserted into the skin.   Sutures can cause reactions, healing can cause hypertrophic scarring from the patient's own body's exaggerated response to healing which is inherited, often, infection can cause hardening but usually with pain, redness, warmth and swelling, and bleeding can collect as a hematoma which can form a hard nodule. Unless there is a hard nodule, obsevation is often recommended.  Warm compresses and massage eventually, when the would is ready for it, may help.  Special scar reduction silastic dressings which are available over-the-counter may be recommended to you by your surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction - Swelling on Chin

+1

HI Bridget in Georgia in Norcross, GA,

You should, of course, continue to consult with your own plastic surgeon on this and any other matters related to the procedure you had.

It's pretty common to have areas of irregularity and swelling at two weeks.  In fact, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for 85% of the swelling to go down after lipo.

On the chin/submental region, even a small amount of swelling can be very noticeable, so I understand why you're concerned about this.  Most likely, that's all it is - and some gently massage should help it.  Since you had a lot done (lipo and muscle tightening) it's also possible that it's a small collection of blood.  Even that, though, should resolve with some massage or, at the worst, with your surgeon removing some of the fluid (this can be done with a needle inserted to drain it  - under local anesthesia, don't worry! - or even opening the incision a bit to evacuate some of the fluid).

However, it should settle down on its own and, in the absence of a photo and being able to see you in person, I would advise that you continue to do exactly what you're doing - following the advice of your surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

A posted photo would have been helpful. I do not recommend Body Jet for chin lipo I use Smart Lipo + lipo. If you have also open surgery to have muscle plication there are so many choices to your issues hard to be specific. See your chosen surgeon. I bet you have a small hematoma. 

Lipo

+1

Without seeing you it is not possible to say if it is normal or not. It is normal to have some firmness under the chin after lipo. I generally recommend massaging the are to my patients. It is too early to tell if your results will be satisfactory. It takes 2-3 months.

Michael Hueneke, MD