Hard Lump Under Skin Just Below Ribs 2 Years Post Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I have a hard lump in the middle of my abdomen that has been there at least 6 months. I am 2 years post tummy tuck. My surgeon saw it and said he wasn't sure what it was just by looking and told me to go to the emergency room. It is now protruding, painful and the skin is red.

Hole in abdominal skin after abdominoplasty (photo)

+2

Looks like suture extrusion, but diagnosis without more detailed history and personal examination impossible.  What strikes me most is your surgeon's response.

Tender skin post Tummy Tuck

+1

If it is tender and red then there could be a localized infection related or not to the surgery. A course of antibiotics seems indicated.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Lump and Redness 2 Years after Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your picture, you may have an infected cyst or a reaction to a deep permanent suture. However, without a real physical exam, it is hard to say. If your plastic surgeon is unable to help, you should consider seeing your primary care physician or another plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS