Hard Lump Below Belly Button After Laser Lipo- Could I Get Infected?

Hello, i had laser lipo 2 weeks ago on my belly. Under my belly button i have now a hard lump of signifivant size. It is hard when i pinch the whole area but when i touch it on the surface is soft, feels like there might be some liquid remanin there. What im concerned about is the risk of infection. Right now the skin isnt warm or red. Also i gotta add that the procedure was done with local anesthisia amd liquid that had some degree of anesthia in it. Could it be infection? Will the lump fade with time?

Hard Lump 2 Weeks After Laser Lipo Will Resolve with Massage

+3

See your surgeon for an exam.

It is not uncommon to have firm lumps early after Laser Liposuction.

These firm areas are usually incompletely dissolved fat which is injured by the laser but not aspirated and will resolve with massage.

Soft, fluid type collections can be Seroma or Hematoma as discussed below and should be aspirated by your surgeon.

Post Laser Liposuction Lump

+1

Thank you for your question. Infections are rare after liposuction, but not impossible. You should have this evaluated by your physician, and if you still do not have answers, see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for advice. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction and Post Operative Lump

+1

From your description, a lump that forms within two weeks after a laser liposuction could be a seroma (fluid collection) or a hematoma (collection of blood).  If the lump is of significant size, your surgeon may want to aspirate the lump with a needle and syringe.  Occasionally thes collections can become infected and cause further problems.  If properly treated the lump should resolve with time.  Check back with your doctor as soon as you can.  Best of luck. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon