Hard Lump After Breast Reduction Surgery

I had breast reduction & was left with a large lump or hard mass under the skin on the top part of my breast. I was told it was breast fat- nothing to worry about. I thought it might soften but it hasn't. I have an upcoming appointment. What is this, has anyone ever experienced it and do I have to live with it forever? It can get sore and I can always feel its presence. I am concerned about pain with any future mammograms. What should I be asking my surgeon at my next appointment? Thank you

Fat Necrosis

A hard breast mass following breast reduction surgery is usually always fat necrosis.This usually occurs when an area of breast tissue loses its blood supply and undergoes necrosis.This results in the formation of a firm non-painful mass.
Fat necrosis following breast reduction commonly occurs above the nipple areola.When an inferior pedicle technique is utilized this is the distant point of the blood supply and is especially prone to this type of problem.
When lesions are small they should be managed conservatively.Larger lesions may require surgical excision.
It’s important that you consult your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses this problem.

Sounds like you may have fat necrosis

Breast reduction surgery tends to involve a fair amount of tissue rearrangement which can put some tissue as risk having an inadequate blood supply.  Fat necrosis occurs when breast tissue loses it's necessary blood supply and essentially turns into fibrotic scar tissue.  This complication occurs about 2% of the time.  Small areas will sometimes resolve with massage and watchful waiting.  Larger areas will typically require surgical excision.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon