Hard Dent in Breast After Chemo, Radiation and Reconstruction?

Breast implant removed and replaced after chemo and radiation. Numerous breast revision. Last surgery replaced3rd implant b/c breast swelling. After radiation the left breast has need hard and with a dent. How can't I rid of the hard dent?

Implant firmness after radiation

+1
This problem with firmness after radiation can happen in a high percentage of patients after radiation.  There are still options.  These are all difficult cases and we would be happy to work with you.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Breast problems after radiation

+1

I do no have all the info. to give an informed answer, however, it is very common to have scar tissue or capsular contracture form around a breast implant that is placed in a radiated area.  Sometimes fat injections may improve the dent or a flap procedure may be needed in more severe cases. Discuss you problems with an experienced breast reconstructive surgeon.

Charles R. Nathan, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon