Is It Hard to De-rotate the Tip of the Nose.

I had an open rhinoplasty done 11 days ago. I had a bump removed and the tip was narrowed and rotated. I had a long nose to begin with. Not only the length of my nose was not shortened, the doctor crafted some extra cartilage and rotated it. I understand it is too early to judge, but I am very concern as my nose looks too long and upward. I am considering a revision done. Since it is only the tip of my nose, would it be an easy fix? How long do I have to wait to get the revision.

Nose over rotated after open Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, it's really to soon to make any further plans after your open Rhinoplasty.  An over rotated tip should make the nose look shorter, not longer...so I'm wondering if you're describing an increase in tip projection which is how far the tip extends off of the face.  A cartilage grfat could, in theory, increase the tip projection if it's placed at the high point of the nasal tip.  If after 4-6 months, this is the issue, then yes that portion, of the cartilage could be trimmed or the projection decreased through a columellear incision alone...which is far less invasive IMHO.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Too Soon To Consider Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
At just 11 days out from rhinoplasty you are way (way) premature to consider a revision procedure. Much of what you are looking at in the mirror is going to change considerably in the next 10-12 months. That is simply the nature of rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decreasing Tip Rotation

+1

Swelling 11 days after rhinoplasty can the the appearance of excess rotation. Wait at least 9-12 months to consider a revission. The rotation can be decreased by an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Rhinoplasty results

+1

Without photos or an exam it is difficult to say.  Besides, it is too early to evaluate your nose so soon after surgery.

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year.

+1

It is too soon to think about this as the swelling will take 1 year to go down. Derotation is possible if you see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is definitely too soon to plan further surgery.  Issues like over-rotation of the tip, however, are unlikely to look a whole lot different in a year.  The reason to wait is so that you have the best shot at a good post-revision result.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

An over rotated nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Turning a nose "down" after rhinoplasty is often a challenging endeavor. As more is removed from the nose, there is a tendency for the nose to rotate "up."  Often, additional cartilage is needed to push the nose down to a more attractive position. However, 11 days after your rhinoplasty is far too soon to make any judgments about your result. The nose will continue to change for months and not demonstrate its "final" appearance until 1 year. Thus, stay in close contact with your surgeon as time progresses, but if this issue still persists after months, contact a revision rhinoplasty specialist as this is the most challenging operation we perform.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is usually done 12 months after the initial surgery.  As far as how easy the surgery is, it will really depend on how things look once the swelling as resolved. Without seeing pictures it is hard to give you an opinion.

From your description it sounds that not only your nose is over-rotated but also over-projected, so you may need more than tip de-rotation. Pictures would be helpful.

I recommend you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist if revision is required.

Best of luck.

Michel Siegel, MD

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

De-rotation of the Tip

+1

Hi,

Yes you should probably wait at least  6 months for most of the swelling to resolve. Your nose may de-rotate at that time. At 6 months you can re-evaluate the tip rotation. If you need  a revision then tip only surgery may b adequate.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.