Hard Bumps 10 Months Post-Op Rhinoplasty

I had open rhinoplasty 10 months ago to remove a hump.. After the operation there is a hard hump (callous) on my bridge,but it is getting smaller in time..will it resolve completely? And how much does it take for the swelling to resolve?! Thank you for your answers.

Not much change expected 10 months after rhinoplasty.

+3

Hi.

Do nothing as long as things are improving even a little bit, and anyway you may decide that you can live with a small residual bump on your nose.

Hard bumps 10 months after rhinoplasty

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing after rhinoplasty. It is difficult to give you advice on whether or not it will completely resolve without seeing photos or performing an examination. It is a good that it is getting smaller over time. What did you have performed during your initial surgery? A callous can sometimes form when:

1) Osteotomies are performed, and the callus develops as a result of the healing of the bones
2) There is a fragmentation of bone following rasping of a nasal hump

The size of a callous can vary depending on the patient and how they heal. Don't worry, the issue can likely be improved. Swelling will last up to one year after your surgery, and from here I would recommend seeing your surgeon for a follow-up. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal irregularity after rhinoplasty

+2

It is fairly common to have  small dorsal irregularities due to cartilaginous or bony bumps or callus formation across the bridge.  At 10 months most of the healing has taken place on the bridge line and it's acceptable to undergo a small revision touchup to file down the bump.

Rhinoplasty and nasal hump

+2

A callous is typically only an issue when it isn't improving.  Since it is still changing, you should wait.  If it persists, it can easily be removed by an expert.  Make sure you go to someone who is board-certified in Facial Plastics and is an expert in revisions.  Good luck.

David Alessi, MD

Bumpy nose after rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for your question.  It would be helpful to see some pictures.  A callous gets remodelled over many months after nasal bone surgery and tends to improve to some extent.  I would continue to be patient since you said it is still improving.  Once it stops improving and if you are still concerned or unhappy, visit your plastic surgeon.  Rhinoplasty is a great procedure but the final results take time to show.  Good luck!  Rhinoplasty and Toronto Plastic Surgeon Dr. Marc DuPere.

Marc DuPéré, MD

+2

This may continue to improve.  The healing process is not entirely predictable and some irregularities can occur despite well executed surgeries.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty recovery

+2
  • Dear sabsoob,
  •  
  • If it is getting better, it may continue to improve
  • Once it stops improving, the result is likely permanent
  • If it still bothers you, I would see your surgeon or seek out a second opinion
  • It could be left over bone, cartilage or scar tissue

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

As long as it is improving I would not recommend treatment.  A revision should not be done sooner than a year after rhinoplasty.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD