Hard Bump Where Bridge Was Shaved Down 6 Months Later (photo)

I'm nearly six months post-op and I have a considerable hard bump where the bridge of my nose was shaved down. I suffered no traumatic bumps to my nose following my surgery. Is this a callous formation? or did something go wrong? I'm seeing my surgeon, but the soonest appointment I could get is a month away! The bump feels hard, like bone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

What to do with a bump on the nose after rhinoplasty?

+1

Review of your pictures indicates an under resected nasal bone at the Radix, or and over resected septal cartilage at the radix right below the nasal bone margin. Best and non invasive treatment for it is to have your surgeon place dermal fillers in the area below the bump. More invasive treatment is placement of fascia graft below the bump. Talk to your surgeon for advice. Good luck and good healing. Dr. Sadati

Hard Bump on Nose Where Bridge Was Shaved Down

+1

Thank you for your question, Rachel Lynn. A palpable bump where the nasal bridge was lowered may by a callous or residual hump. It would be difficult for you to discern the difference, but your surgeon may be able to answer that question based on his or her knowledge of your surgery, recovery and your exam. If you are concerned, it would be entirely reasonable to request a sooner appointment. Keep in mind that following rhinoplasty, final results may not be evident for up to a year. Good luck

James M. Pearson, MD

Hard Bump on Bridge

+1

In the picture submitted the 'bump' looks like the normal projection of the bridge with a depression inferior to that. A revision with graft placement to fill the concavity will improve your profile.

BUMP ON NOSE

+1

A firmness after rhinoplasty may be from the bones healing.  It takes a year or more for things to settle down after a rhinoplasty.

Bump on bridge after rhinoplasty

+1

The bump high on the bridge in your photo is the natural level of the nasal bone over the area we often call the radix. When your hump was reduced a divot or over resection occured where the nasal bone and cartilage of the bridge meet. The aesthetics would be best with a revision and onlay graft over the dent to smooth and level the dorsum. Stay away for suggestions of 'fillers'.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Bump after surgery

+1

You may have callous formation after the original rhinoplasty or possibly residual bony hump.  I would wait a full year before revision to give you to best chance of correcting the problem.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

You may consider a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to improve the profile appearance of your nose after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photo:

The "bump" is pronounced since you have an indentation just below this bump. Rather than undergoing another nasal surgery, you may want to visit a specialist experienced with the use of fillers for nasal rejuvenation. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do with a nasal Hard Bump 6 months later

+1

Thank you Rachel for your question.

I think your Plastic Surgeon is the most appropiate person to tell you what has happened.

Sincerely it is very difficult to give you a good diagnosis of your problem with only this lateral photograph. But I'm trying to do my best. I think 6 month post op is quite enough time; I don't think that final result (1 year) will be improved doing nothing. This little proximal bump (or distal hollow) just in the junction of the osteo-cartilaginous dorsum, can occur after a rhynoplasty. The matter is not why it has occurred, but if it can be solved properly or not. Two possibilities:

• Increase de depressed area with a injectable filler (f.e. Radiesse or Juvederm Voluma) Good and inmediate results, but only lasts 18-24 months.
  • Revision Open Rhinoplasty. Again 3 possibilities to regularize the dorsum:
  1. Rasp de prominent nasal bones
  2. Regularize (reduce) all the dorsum area (bone and cartilaginous dorsum)
  3. Augmentation rhinoplasty. To increase cartilaginous septum with a graft.

Good luck!

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

What Is The Hard Bump On The Bridge Of My Nose?

+1

Your photo is a little blurry, but the bump you are referring to could be scar formation or even residual dorsal bone or cartilage. It is too hard to tell from the photo alone and an exam would be helpful. Waiting a month will not change your outcome but I understand your anxiety. I would call the surgeon again and explain your concerns and dissatisfaction and ask for an earlier appointment. Another option would be to ask for a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon if you are unhappy with the response from your first surgeon. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

Rachel,

This can happen after rhinoplasty. My suggestion is that you wait a year and return to your surgeon. This can easily be corrected by a little rasping of the bones. 

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon