Hard Bump Where Bridge Was Shaved Down. Will It Go Away?

I had my rhinoplasty about a month a half ago. Soon after, I noticed a small bump where the bridge was shaved down (I also had a cartilage graft inserted into the top of my nose and tip reshaping) As the swelling has started to go down the bump has become slightly more pronounced. When I feel it, it feels like bone, and I'm scared it could be permanent. Unfortunately I can't see my surgeon for another month because I recently started college. Any help you provide would be much appreciated!

Bump on nose after rhinoplasty

+1
The bump that you can appreciate on the bridge of your nose is likely caused by a few potential issues.  When the bone of the nose is shaved down or broken, a formation of healing bone tissue will deposit on the bridge of the nose.  This deposit is called a callous formation, and over time, the callous formation should resorb and smooth out.  Small irregularities of the nasal bridge following your rhinoplasty may be a spicule of bone that may need to be shaved or, more likely, in the case of cartilagenous grafts placed in the bridge, a small edge of the graft which is now more prominent and palpable since the swelling has subsided.  I would wait a few months to see what the bump does as steroid injections or other interventions will unlikely change the presence of this bump.  If necessary, a quick intervention which would involve shaving the bone or cartilage bump will effectively take care of the issue.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Bump after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello Ms. Lynn,

That can occasionally happen, particularly if you have relatively thin skin.  Whether that's the case for your or not, in the short term I would just be patient.  The scar tissue under that area is still very firm and will likely soften but I can describe a couple scenarios.

1.  It's just immature scar that will soften.

2.  If it feels very hard, small, and sharp it could be a small bit of calcification or bone.  Again, don't worry, it could resolve on its own or your sugeon can simply shave it down a bit with a needle in the clinic.  Not a bit deal.

3.  Be careful, if you see your surgeon or another surgeon and they want to inject some steroid you may want to wait just a few months longer.  Injection of steroid to that area can do wonders but it can also atrophy the tissue and thin the skin out.  There's no harm in waiting a few months to be sure there is some need for a steroid injection or any other intervention for that matter.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard Bump Where Hump Was Shaved Down 1 1/2 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Rachel Lynn,

Congratulations on beginning your college career.  It is not unusual for patients to feel a slight hard bump where their boney hump has been taken down.  Don't worry, enjoy your new nose and classes.  It can take up to 6-12 months for these things to resolve.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Bump on nose

+1

Small irregularities can occur with rhinoplasty.  If they are not noticeable externally then often there is nothing to do. If it is palpable and visible, you may need a small revision.

Bump just felt on nose 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Without an examination one can't say with certainty whether this is just related to swelling that will resolve with time or if it is a small irregularity of the underlying bone/cartilage. Your surgeon will be able to better determine the cause of this when you see him/her in a month. I would not worry about this, though.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD