What is This Hard Bulge after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Hard Bulge 4 Weeks Post TT/MR-- on my Upper/ Lower Abdomen Above my Incision, Below (New) Belly Button. My surgeon was unable to aspirate fluid from my abdomen. He suggested that it may take more time. However, this is no small bulge and i have seen very little improvement since the day of the surgery. My stomach looks deformed and i'm freaking out a bit here. Need advice. My stomach looks huge compared to how it looked previously.

PHOTOS: Unusual post operative tummy tuck results

+2

I, like my colleagues, believe you had a mini tummy tuck but when I enlarged the photos I saw sutures around your belly button which may mean you had a full but it is very confusing. It appears that you could have more skin resected. Of the remaining skin, you appear to have swelling but I cannot explain why it is so profound. It could be due to improper garment wear. Manual lymphatic drainage could help.

California girl

+2

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with your result.  Your photos are very telling and I've read some of the other colleagues statements.  Some I agree with, some disagree.  As far as saying that your result is very good (which I read posted) I can't really agree with that unless I know what you looked like prior to surgery.  That is all telling.

As far as you having a mini tummy tuck, I also disagree with (even though most of the postings say that about you) because you said you have a new belly button.

Ultimately the statement that we all agree on is that we'd need to see what you looked like prior.  Not all tummy tucks will look the same after they're done.  No, your abdomen is not the perfect shape, nor was is prior to surgery but the question is, how much improvement was there.

The firm area is likely an area of poorly perfussing fatty tissue in your abdomen that will need to be opened up.  It's typically near the incision and it happens typically when patients are overweight.  That may or may not be your case, but you certainly need to reconsult with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Best wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Best results after full tummy tuck

+2

I agree with my colleagues.  I think it appears in the photographs that you would have benefited more from a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) rather than a mini tummy tuck.  It looks to me as you have residual "loose skin" that is still swollen from the surgery but will be more noticeable in several months.  My recommendation is to wait until it has been at least 3 months and maybe even 6 months to see a board certified plastic surgeon about your options.  I have "converted" several patient from a previous "mini" tummy tuck to a full tummy tuck and they have done really well.  This may be something to consider but wait until the swelling goes down. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD

Bulge after mini tummy tuck

+2

It looks like you may have had a mini-tummy tuck and may have been a better candidate for a full tummy tuck, but without an exam and pre-op photos it is hard to say.

+2

Your photos indicate only a lower TT not a full TT. My guess is a poorly done inappropriate surgery for the issues needing to be address. Another answer could be retained fluids. Seek a second opinion. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Hard bulges after a tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your photos. Without a preop photo it is hard to comment, but first I thought these were your preop photos. Did you see a board certified plastic surgeon? I see several thing that are bothersome to me even this early out from your surgery. The suprapubic scar is too high, the incision is short at the expense of poor contour, there are irregularities and lumps throughout the whole abdomen, lots of excess fat in the lower abdomen, basically a poor aesthetic result. You need to wait until you heal 6-9 months, but I'm certain that you will need futrther surgey to improve you results. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Bulge after Tummy Tuck

+2

Without pre-op pictures, it is hard to give you specific advice on the results.  However, I am sorry to say that you look like you have very good results from your surgery (assuming that those are post op pictures that you posted).  If your surgeon does not feel comfortable with your situation or if you do not feel comfortable with your surgeon, you need to get a second opinion.   Is your surgeon board certified?

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Seroma after Tummy Tuck

+1

It looks like fluid accumulation. A simple test is to have a ultrasoud performed that will show if fluid is present and then have it tapped or a catherter placed.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD