Hard, Bruised, and Swollen 10 Days Post Op.

I had breast augmentation 10 days ago. I had saline implants, under the muscle, breast crease incision. 400 cc left, 375 right. I am fairly slim and athletic. I am thrilled with the shape and size of my right breast. My left breast is very painful, semi egg shaped, firmer, riding much higher, and has substantial bruising. I am concerned about a hematoma due to the bruising. The swelling on the left has only gone down a small amount. Is this normal and what should I do/ask my PS?

Hematoma after Augmentation

+1

Anytime there is a change in the breast size, I ask my patient to immediately notify me, such that I can perform an in office examination.   

I would recommend immediate contact with your plastic surgeon as I am concerned by your swelling combined by pain, which is characteristic of a hematoma.   This may require operative intervention to control bleeding, prevent infection, and minimize risk of capsular contracture.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Hematoma After Breast Augmentation...Classic Presentation

+1

Dear Rebecca - I would say according to your history and the photos, this is a classic presentation of a hematoma after subpectoral breast augmentation. You should be evaluated by your surgeon as soon as possible.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Hematoma

+1

Looking at your photos, it appears that you have a hematoma of the left breast.  You need to contact your plastic surgeon immediately for an examination.  The hematoma may require surgical drainage to prevent future complications.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

+1

it appears by your description that you have a hematoma.  i think you should talk to your surgeon about options.  you should be ok long term

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation.

+1

Without seeing you in person, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  However with unilateral (one sided) issues  including significant bruising, hardness and tenderness, you may likely have a hematoma.  It is best that you contact your surgeon's office today for an evaluation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Bruising after breast augmentation

+1

By definition you have a hematoma.  The question is whether or not this is a significant problem that requires treatment. 

If the breast is otherwise soft, particularly in the upper pole, and if both breasts are aboutht he same size, you can safely wait and watch.  If the breast is firm, especially in the upper pole, then a significant (read: surgical) hematoma may need to be drained to avoid a greater chance of capsular contracture.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Augmentation mammoplasty & hematoma

+1

You defintely have a subtle and none expanding hematoma of the left breast . Since it is not a small size and not improving it needs surgical intervention ASAP , It is not going away by itself and if not treated in timely fashion could cause infection , more hardening deformity etc . After removal of clots and control of bleeing/oozing spots it is a good idea to leave a drain for few days after surgery. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Possible Hematoma

+1

Dear Bruised and Swollen,

I agree with Dr. Grenley. Call your surgeon, even today, and send him the photos you have shown us. If this is a hematoma they will want to address this sooner rather than later.  Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

?Hematoma after breast augmentation

+1
You should ask your plastic surgeon the same thing you asked us...do you have a hematoma? A hematoma, if left untreated, will usually result in a capsular contracture.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Haematoma after breast implants

+1

It is likely that you have a haematoma on the left side, My policy is to wash out all haematomas after breast augmentation, because of the risk of infection and subsequent capsular contracture. Some surgeons are more conservative, because a re-exploration carries its own risks including the risk of infection.

You should immediately see your surgeon so that s/he can assess the situation and advise you.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon