Is Hard Breast Capsular Contracture?

I had augmentation done which included treating mild tubular breast on my left side. 3 weeks after and my right breast is totally fine and my left breast is hard and not moving on the bottom half b/t my nipple and incision scar. Do i have capusular contracture or is it still healing? 280 r/t saline.

Is Hard Breast Capsular Contracture?

+1

Is Hard Breast Capsular Contracture? It is unlikely that you have formed a capsular contracture 3 weeks after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-enlargement/

"Hard Breast" after Breast Augmentation

+1

There is quite a difference between post-surgical Breast stiffness (which is commonly due to temporary inflammation and swelling) and Breast hardness (which MAY be the result of excessive scarring of the normal scar pocket which forms around every implant).

I doubt that you have a capsular contracture at 3 weeks. This would be very uncommon.

I would massage the breasts, if approved by your surgeon, and ask his opinion on what may be helpful in correcting the stiffness. In the unlikely event that things do not change in 4-6 months, you may conclude then that you may be dealing with a capsular contracture.

TIght breasts

+1

At 3 weeks and also not examining you, it would be hard to say if you are developing a capsule.  They may feel tight because they are stretching out.

Capsular Contracture

+1

Capsular contarcture is certainly accompanied by firmness in the breast; the breast also tends to be somewhat misshappen.  However at only 3 weeks postop, I am not certain that your problem is a capsular contracture.  It could also be caused by edema or a hematoma at this point.  You surely should check with your surgeon about this concern.

Early capsular contracture can happen after breast augmentation.

+1

Hi.

Be optimistic and sit tight for several months. But you may well have capsular contracture of the left breast.  Correction of tubular shape requires more surgery than just putting in breast implants, and more surgery can lead to contracture.

It also sounds like you have some asymmetry which may require a revision.

Capsular contracture

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without a physical examination.  It would be rather early for capsular contracture to occur, but this can definitely happen, even at 3 weeks.  You should be seeing your surgeon regularly and discussing these issues with him/her.  If that is not possible due to geographic location, or because you have lost confidence in your surgeon, then find a board-certified plastic surgeon and get an evaluation, sooner rather than later.  Good luck!

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.