Hard Asymetrical Swelling After MASC Lift Could It Be Deep Hematoma?

I am 7 days post-op MACS lift,my PS removed the bandages yesterday and i finished a course of antibiotics as of lastnight my PS said that my stitches are healing very well, however there is this really hard asymetrical swelling on my left cheek, my face looks rasymetrical and i am hoping this is due to the swelling. Is asymetrical hard swelling common after MACS lift, i havent had any bruising whatsoever after the op, how long would it take for this hard swelling and asymmetry to resolve?

Hard Asymetrical Swelling After MASC Lift Could It Be Deep Hematoma

+1

it can be due to swelling or blood in the area. It also might be that the MACs suture on the larger side caused more bunching of the tissue when it was tightened. It should get better in time though.

Swelling after facelift

+1

Severe asymmetry after a facelift is uncommon.  Some swelling and firmness is normal but usually its rather symmetric.  If nothing has changed since you last  saw your plastic surgeon then I would say you are probably alright but as with most plastic surgeons on realself if you have a question or concern that is bothering you enough to write it here I would ask your surgeon directly as I personally would rather have a happy but swollen and newly educated patient about signs of problems than a patient with a hematoma who waited several days to tell me about it.  Best of Luck. Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Asymmetric facing swelling should be evaluated.

+1

It is normal to have some swelling 7 days after a facelift and the areas worked on may feel firm.  However if only one side is like this, you should return to your surgeon to be evaluated for possible collection of blood or fluid on that side.  Your surgeon knows exactly what was done at your surgery and is in the best position to properly evaluate you.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

7 days post-op

+1

Each situation is unique and only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as  - call or follow-up with your PS

Sam Naficy, MD

Facelift - Hard Asymetrical Swelling After MASC Lift Could It Be Deep Hematoma?

+1

At seven days it is common to have asymmetry and hard areas.  These most likely represent collections of fluid, either discretely (in a space) or diffusely (spread throughout some tissue, such as if you had a sprained ankle).  In general, these resolve well on their own; rarely, small collections need to be aspirated (have the fluid withdrawn with a needle).  You should, of course, stay in touch with your surgeon.  I suspect that this will settle down well on its own.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Swelling After Facelift

+1

As described, asymmetric firm swelling after a facelft is not typical and always represents a blood and or serum collection beneath the skin. It usually occurs within the dissection level of the facelift so the answer to the question of depth depends on the type of facelift performed. If this was a standard facelift dissection a swelling life the one described usually will require needle drainage to expedite healing. If a component of the swelling is blood, it may be necessary to wait until 5 days after surgery to aspirate the fluid. Regardless the swelling will eventually dissapate.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical swelling after a MACS face lift 7 days after the procedure

+1

There are times when the swelling is asymmetric. Most likely it is due to some fluid accumulation. One thing to remember is that everyone is asymmetric and you should look at your preoperative photos to assess this. But I would have your doctor consider aspirating the swelling. Then you will have to do some judicious followup, wrapping, taping, steroid injections etc.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Status Post MACS

+1

Thank you for your question. It is possible to have normal swelling on one side of the face or a hematoma. Without an evalutation, it is impossible to tell.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

It could be a deep tissue bruise or something else.  It's best that you ask your Face Lift Surgeon this question after a close examination of the area.  

Hard swelling

+1

Although not typical there a number of possible explanations. This early in your post op course your own surgeon is in the best position to explain, advise and treat you.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon