Hard Areas on Lower Abs After Smart Lipo

I had Smart Lipo on my abs and flanks 3 weeks ago. My lower abs, around my belly button, have hard areas (lumps and bumps). How long should this last? I apply heat and massage at least 2-3 daily.

Firm areas following liposuction

+1

Firm areas including what you describe as lumps and bumps after liposuction is not unusual during the first month after surgery. Therapeutic or "lymphatic massage" may be helpful following  a  Liposuction (Smart Lipo, Vaser, Tickle lipo, or conventional lipo) to minimize the localized swelling that causes lumps and bumps.Heat in my experience doesn't make it resolve more rapidly. Make sure your surgeon feels that you have healed sufficiently  and it is safe before doing this.  Endermologie is also very helpful after liposculpture/liposuction but again, not critical.  Although deep tissue massage following liposuction can aid in smoothing out  contour irregularities that invariably accompany this procedure it has limited effect on the final outcome and  is NOT mandatory. Some plastic surgeons recommend it to all  patients as they feel the edema resolves faster.  Ask your surgeon to show you or a significant other how to do this if cost is an issue. Typically they will have you massage toward areas of maximum lymphatic drainage ( for example groin or armpits).

Hard areas after liposuction

+1

Don't worry--3 weeks after liposuction is still very early. It's normal to have firm areas in the areas that were treated. It might take several months for those areas to soften up but they usually do. Gentle massage or light heat may help but make sure to consult with your surgeon. Don't worry!

Elan B. Singer, MD