Hard area above incision, could it be a hematoma or fat necrosis?

I'm 17 days PO from full tummy tuck with lipo to the flanks and back. I've never smoked and I am in good health. The area above my scar is very hard and darker colored than the rest of my skin especially on my right side and up to my belly button. It appears dented looking rather than puffy and the edges are hard. Could this be a hematoma or dying fat? I'm headed to my PS office on Monday for a massage and I'm going to ask if the PS or the nurse will look at it then. I'm worried.

Hardness after a tummy tuck

+2

It's hard to say without seeing you, but swelling or a fluid collection can occur after a tummy tuck. They usually resolve with time and/or drainage.

Dr. Jeffrey E. Schreiber

Baltimore, Maryland

Could be fat necrosis

+2

without an exam it is difficult to tell, but sounds like minor fat necrosis. There may be some fatty tissue being lost from the sutures and smoldering underneath the incision. It appears minor. An office visit will be more enlightening

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon