I Am Not Happy with the Size of my Saline Implants 1 Week Post-op- Can I Go Smaller?

I am 7 days post op. I have 220cc and want to reduce the size to 200cc max. Is that possible?

Although it is possible, it is way to soon to make that decision, especially for 20cc difference.  At this early timeframe you still have swelling and the implants have not settled into their final positions.  Be patient and know that I don't recommend rushing into another procedure.

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Reduce volume in saline implants

Wait.  You're rushing.  Your breasts are swollen and look larger to you know then they will in even a few weeks.  It takes 4 months or so for everything to settle down.  Many women like their breasts right after surgery and are disappointed once the swelling goes down.  If you think your breasts are too big now you may well be delighted in a few months (or even weeks).  If you have 200 cc implants that have been filled with 220 cc of saline the volume can be reduced with a simple minor procedure.  Most preople can barely see a difference of 20 cc and I do not think it would be worth the effort.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre 9850 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037

I Am Not Happy with the Size of my Saline Implants 1 Wk Post-op- Can I Go Smaller?Answer:

Three things…First, at one week don’t even think about going smaller by 20cc’s!! With swelling you won’t see your true size for probably 3-6 months so it is WAY too soon to be worrying about that… Second, you have pretty small implants in. I don’t know how much of your own breast you started with but if you’re worried about being too big, these are on the small side. And Third, 20cc’s is NOT worth going back to surgery for…It’s less than a Tablespoon and a half!! Not worth the risk…really.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

10210 North 92nd Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Wait for the final result before making a change

One week is way too early to consider having another surgery to put in smaller implants. You probably still have some swelling and, as a result of pressure from your  implants, your own breast tissue will like shrink a little. Both of these will result in your breasts being smaller.  If you wait for a while and are still unhappy with your size, you will need to go down more than 20 cc's to make a noticeable difference.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

4845 Knightsbridge Blvd
Columbus, OH 43214

Implant Size & Saline Implants

Depending on the size of the patient, in general, it requires at least 50cc’s to have a measurable difference between one breast set and the other. To change an implant size less than that really is minimal to no consequence.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Smaller implants

Yikes!  Take a deep breast and then consider what a small, small difference there is between a 200 and a 220 cc implant.  Take a look at one of those little medicine cups that come with  liquid medications and take a look at the 20 cc mark.  It's not much. 

I think you are second guessing yourself and your surgeon.  Give yourself some time for the swelling to go down and for you to get used to your new figure. 

I ask my patients to reserve judgment for 3 months and it's not that unusual for a patient who "felt huge" one week after surgery to wish she had gone a little bigger at 3 months.  Crazy?  No.  It's just that way.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508

Really? ONLY 20 cc's will not effect the appearance. You need to be more patient. And discuss with your surgeon. You most likely are still swollen. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Breast augmentation

Being that you are one week out, it is a bit early to feel that you are too large. More commonly patients complain that they are too small. Remember you are probably maximally swollen so they will get a bit smaller.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Please wait

You just had breast augmentation and the swelling is not resolved yet. You can have smaller implants later ,but i would recommend to wait at least 3 months.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

After breast implants you can go smaller

Most saline implants have a fill range , perhaps 30cc, and most often we will fill the implant to the upper end so it is possible to reduce the volume by 20cc if your surgeon has the same practice. If your breast is small, the 20cc just might make a meaningful difference to you, though most will not notice. You might want to give yourself a chance with the current volume as often some feel large early on until the result settles in.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016