I'm Not Happy with Size After BA. Is Another Surgery Worth It to Exchange Them?

I am 3 and a half weeks post op from my BA. I wanted to be a full C and when going into surgery I was between 304cc and 339cc the PS advised 339cc would be too big but the 304cc would be a perefct fit for me. I was concerned they would be too big and during surgery my PS decided to go with 286cc I feel like they're too small. I would like to know if they will appear smaller after the 3 month mark or if I should have went with a larger size. I feel like I should have went with the 339cc.

Not Happy with Size after Breast Augmentation

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after your procedure.
You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too  small.
I routinely ask my patients  to wait at least 3-6 months before   evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery.  This waiting time allows patients to (uaually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  
There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.
From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.
In your case, I would suggest continued patience. Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Avoid revisional surgery if you can after breast augmentation.

+2

If your breast remain soft and look natural, I would advise you not to have them exchanged for a bigger size.  You run the risk of a complication especially capsular contracture.  If you need surgery in the future (failure of the implant or capsular contracture), that would be a time to consider a larger implant.

Implant exchange can be performed easily

+2

Size of implant is often the most important variable in terms of breast augmentation happiness.  If you think you would be happier with the 339 ml implants I would touch base with your plastic surgeon to see what can be done.  You may have to pay for the implants and some supplies but his/her services may be offered without cost and the implant exchange can be performed under local anesthesia if your plastic surgeon feels comfortable doing so.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Is Another Surgery Worth It to Exchange Them?

+2

It is not too likely that the size of her breast with change over the next 2 months. If the implants are riding high, the shape may change, end it is worth waiting out 2 months for making the kind of  decision that we were contemplating.

If at that time he decided to proceed with an implant exchange I would caution that going to 304cc will probably not yield a visible difference. Even 339 is only a 53 cc difference, and perhaps not worth a change.

Your surgeon should be able to help you sort this all out.

Thanks, best wishes.