I Am Not Happy with the Results of my Surgery. Should I Go Back to the Same Surgeon?

My nose is short and stubby still and it has been 41/2 months. My chin is so horrible. It's crooked and I don't believe the right size was placed. And my cheeks I had asked for a buccal fat removal and he did lipo instead.

Always in your best interests to stay with original surgeon, provided that...

Hi there-

I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Rand... 

Provided that your original choice of surgeon was made correctly and for the right reasons (he/ she has an excellent reputation, education, training, was able to show you pleasing photos of their work, has many happy patients, seemed to be a nice and reasonable person you could get along well with), it is in your best interests to go back to them, explain your concerns, and discuss options with them.

Why do I say this? Because only your original surgeon will have the detailed understanding of your pre-surgical anatomy, the details of the operative technique performed, your pre-surgical anatomy, and the expected changes in the outcome over time based on his experience with his technique.

Your original surgeon is therefore best equipped to make adjustments for you.

Going elsewhere at the first sign of an imperfection is a mistake- Even if you find an excellent surgeon who is willing to take you on and perform a revision, they will simply not have the understanding of your case that the original surgeon has, and therefore will be compromised in their ability to achieve the outcome you want.

Furthermore, doing so before giving your original surgeon an appropriate opportunity to make you happy will definitely also alienate you from your original surgeon, potentially causing irreparable damage to your relationship with them (remember that you are in a "relationship" with your surgeon, and it is like any other relationship- both parties must be honest and respectful for it to work)- and then you may NEVER have the best possible outcome...

So, provided you chose your surgeon well in the first place (and this is a big "IF", with too many women choosing based on price, etc...), you are ALWAYS better off going back to them.

On the other hand, if you feel you chose poorly, your surgeon is not interested in your satisfaction, or that he/she is unable to make the changes you desire, it would not be unreasonable to seek another opinion. 

But never before discussing it with your original surgeon...

7009 Dr. Phillips Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32819

Revision surgery with original surgeon

Since it has only been 4 ½ months since your rhinoplasty surgery, you need to wait at least a year prior to embarking on a reconstructive procedure on your nose. Sounds like you are unhappy with all three operations you had done: the nose, the chin, and the cheeks. It appears that there may have either been a lack of communication or a lack of execution on the surgeon’s part to deliver what he or she had promised. Since all three operations have not gone well, it is probably best to find another surgeon.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Repeat surgery with original surgeon

It is always a good idea to go back to your original surgeon to review options for treatment.  However, if you have lost faith in him/her, then seek a second opinion.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Choosing your surgeon

If you are not happy with your initial results, then you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  However, if you are not happy with the care you are receiving or have concerns that are not being addressed, then it is reasonable to seek a second opinion.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Going back to the original surgeon?

Most times, if you chose an excellent surgeon in the beginning and comunicated well with them, you would be best to go back and see what happened and what can be done.  That doctor should want the result to be better than anyone else if they are really good.  Sometimes, though you make the wrong choice of doctor and if you have lost confidence then you need to see others.  But revising the surgery may be expensive and the result may not be as good because of what has already been done plus scar tissue.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Unhappy with surgical results.

It sounds from what you say that you no longer trust your original surgeon. If that is the case, seek another opinion from an experienced revision surgeon.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Poor Results After First Surgery, Return to Original Surgeon for Revision?

I would only return to your original surgeon if you trust that he can help you achieve your goals.  It sounds like there was miscommunication somewhere during your original experience.  You may want to get a few opinions/consultations from other expert surgeons.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

16311 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91436