What Should I Do if I Am Not Happy with Results of ETT?

I am over 50, 5' 2" inches and had lost 90 pounds prior to my ETT. I carefully consulted with 4 Board certified Plastic surgeons and each assured me I would have fanastic results because most of my problem was in the midriff/waist and abdomen area with an apron of loose skin. I was also told my waist + love handles would be smaller through lipo. Afterwards: skin never tight,did not have to walk bent over after surgery. Feel no change where muscles would have been stiched. How do I approach this?

When to perform a revision tummy tuck

+2

In our practice, we perform tummy tucks on patients of all shapes, sizes, and walks of life. First of all, I'd like to say congratulations for the amazing amount of weight that you lost prior to your surgery!

When we perform this type of surgery in a patient who has lost a significant amount of weight such as yourself, we counsel the patient that your skin has had some significant damage at the cellular level. Many patients after losing this much weight may experience loosening of the skin after their procedure. Patients should be aware of this before barking on the surgery. Some patients elect to perform a revision tummy tuck to further tighten the skin at a later date. At this stage, your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is well experienced in abdominoplasty, body contouring, and working with massive weight loss patients. The specialist will be able to use his expertise to help manage your soft tissue and create a surgical plan that will meet your goals.

What should I do if I am not happy with results of endoscopic yummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your question. Revisions and further surgery for aesthetic procedures varies amongst surgeons and your preoperative discussion about expectations, results, and complications. Depending on your results and expectations, it would need to be a discussion that you have in terms of deformities and results.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully come to a conclusion. I would not be surprised if facility and anesthesia costs are your responsibility along with a possible surgical fee to correct, however, the last one may be waived pending your previous discussions and examination. Hope that this helps and best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Unhappy after tummy tuck

+1

If you've had plastic surgery, you need to go back to your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss which goals weren't met.  There's a reason for everything so it should be explicitly discovered.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

What to do if you are unhappy with your tummy tuck results

+1

It may help if we knew what you meant by ETT (Extended Tummy Tuck or Endoscopic Tummy Tuck). Judging from your picture, it looks like you have a scar consistent with an Extended Tummy Tuck. It would also be useful for us to see your "before" pictures as the amount of improvement really depends on where you started from.

If you are unhappy and have waited at least 3 months from the time of surgery to allow for full healing, it is reasonable to go back to your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Sometimes a touch-up in the office or operating room can help. But other times, you may have to accept the results you have.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

PHOTOS: Results are not what expected after endoscopic tummy tuck

+1

The whole purpose of an endoscopic tummy tuck is to avoid a large scar and resection of loose skin is not warranted. If you want taut skin, you will have to have this removed with a long scar. You can still have this performed and review this with your plastic surgeon.

Unhappy after tummy tuck

+1

Dear Unhappy, It seems to me that your result is very good but I don't understand why the Endoscopic unless it was to minimize dissection.  I do not believe that massive weight loss patients should be pulled tight.  Their skin has been stretched over years by the fat and has lost its elasticity.  Pulling will lead to more stretch marks.  As far as walking bend over, this is due to skin resection. 

It appears you have a good shape in the abdomen from the surgery altho there are some dogears and fullness laterally that could be corrected with a minor revision. Speak to your plastic surgeon to see what your options are.  Good luck

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Still unhappy with TT

+1

You expressed this unhappiness yesterday.  Again, at over age 50 with massive weight loss, you will never be "tight" no matter what is done, the skin's lost elasticity will not allow for that.  The front of you looks fine (?"fantastic") but you may need to have more excision around to your back as it looks like your flanks still have extra skin showing even when your arms are raised.

The rest of you is in great shape so maybe healing from this procedure and going back for lateral and posterior excision will get you to a happier place.  This is basically a circumferential body lift done in stages.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Unhappy after ETT...

+1

To be honest, there are very few women who are actually great candidates for this procedure since there is little to no skin excision.  I turn more people away than I operate on using the endoscopic method because I just feel that its efficacy is limited.

That being said, I would agree that you should really speak to your treating surgeon and express your concerns.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy after extended tummy tuck

+1

The best thing to do if you are unhappy, is to  speak with your doctor and work something out with him.  You may need further surgery.