When Do You Know Whether or Not You Are Going to Be Happy with Your Nose?

I had a revision rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago and I still find it piggish and bulbous. Is it going to get better or is this what I should be expecting. I see before and after pictures online 3wks after surgery and some people look great. I haven't been satisfied as of yet. I am just wanting to get rid of this piggish, bulbous nose my previous doctor gave me. I did not have this kind of nose before surgery. It was so much better before any of these surgeries. Can I ever get my nose back?

Early result - happy or not?

+1

It depends on what you had the rhinoplasty done for in the first place - if it was to remove a hump, result can look promising even at one week - but if for tip refinement it can take months to years

Final results of revision rhinoplasty take time

+1

You must wait at least a year to get a good idea of what your revision rhinoplasty result will look like. Even after a year some patients will continue to have subtle changes in their nose. At 5 weeks you're certainly a bit early to make a good assess about the results of surgery. The piggishness you describe may settle (I presume this refers to how upturned it is) further, though it's hard to saw without knowing what was done during surgery. The tip itself will can be quiet swollen at this point, especially if an open approach was used.

If you're not happy with your appearance after 1 year I would consult with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon to see if any more improvements are possible.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Satisfaction after Rhinoplasty

+1

The severity and duration of post- operative swelling depends on many factors, including what was done during your operation, skin thickness, etc. I'm sorry you did not have this discussion before surgery - ask your surgeon about reasonable expectations.

Rhinoplasty Results Take Time

+1

Changes after a rhinoplasty will continue for at least 12 months.  Where immediate results may be seen with major changes to the bone or alignment, the post surgical improvement of the tip may take a year - or more.  Residual swelling and healing under the surface may make the tip appear more bulbous and less refined than the final result.  Be patient.  Discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD