I'm Not Happy with my Nose but my Doctor is, What Can I Do?

I don't know what to say I'm not happy with my nose I tried to tell my doctor but he keeps saying it fits my face and I really don't think I should have to go to another doctor to get it done but he just keeps pushing it what do I do...

Patient not Happy with Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Wait at least a year to evaluate your nose - it may change as healing progresses. If your surgeon is not receptive to your concerns, get a second opinion. For the past 35 years, over 2/3rds of my rhinoplasty practice is revisions of work done before I saw the patient;  many times when I see patients like you only minor changes are necessary.

Unhappy after rhinoplasty

+1

All surgeons want their patients to be happy, so it would be helpful to have more details in order to give you advice. It sounds like you had rhinoplasty, but important things to know would be the following: how much time it passed been since your surgery, the goals of the surgery communicated between you and your surgeon, and your appearance and breathing function both before and after surgery. If it comes down to a clear difference of opinion between you and your surgeon (not simply postoperative swelling that gets better with time), then I suggest seeking a second opinion. Each individual has his or her own idea of what looks best, and if you and your surgeon do not agree on this, it can hard to accomplish a result you are happy with. You should definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon, who has experience with revision rhinoplasty techniques. You should also make sure to communicate clearly what you like and dislike, and see if the surgeon feels the results you want make sense and are achievable in his/her hands. Not all surgeons are comfortable with revision rhinoplasty or all of the techniques available, so I would take your time and do your research. Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Rhinoplasty Satisfaction

+1

Although it is impossible to say without a full set of pre- and postop photos, a physical examination, and a full discussion of your problem, disagreements between quality of results between Surgeon and patient generally stem from a breakdown in communication about expectations.  Sometimes the fault rests with the Surgeon, sometimes with the patient.  If the patient is truly unhappy with the result at 1 year after the procedure (the minimum amount of time before making a "final" decision) and the Surgeon is pleased, I would recommend a second opinion.  Your Surgeon's opinion may be reinforced, or alternatively, your own opinion my be seconded.  Make sure your second opinion is with a Surgeon experienced in Rhinoplasty.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with your surgery. Without seeing your nose it's hard to comment. You should wait about 12 months to get a good sense of your surgical result.

You could get a second opinion from a different rhinoplasty surgeon to see what could be done to improve your nasal appearance.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

It is impossible to give you a direct answer because we do not know what you look like now, what you looked like before surgery, what your surgeon did during surgery or how long out from surgery you are. Your post also does not say what specifically bothers you about your nose such as the tip droops etc. You could ask your surgeon to send you to a colleague for a second opinion about a revision. You could resubmit your post with before and after photos.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty, not happy but the surgeon is

+1

If your nose is fully healed, six to twelve months, and your surgeon is happy though you are not. It may be time to seek another opinion. Sometimes computer imaging can help show what might be possible, and what might fit to look you are after. Just be careful that what you expect is realistic, given your tissues and features.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Unhappy with Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  Although it's not clear how long ago your surgery was, perhaps it would be a good idea to seek a second opinion with someone who shares your aesthetic eye to see what his/her thoughts are.  He/She will advise you as to the best course of action, whether to conservatively wait as the nose will continue to change in the postoperative setting or plan for additional intervention.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Unhappy with rhinoplasty result.

+1

You are only 6 months since surgery and the nose can change in the next 6 months. If you are unhappy with the nose and the surgeon does not wish to revise this, get a second opinion. Make sure you discuss what you  don't like specifically with the nose to discuss with both surgeons. I see many noses for revision and always tell the patient the second surgeon has the advantage of hindsight which is 20/20!

Nose result is what the doctor likes, but not the owner of the nose!

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you and your surgeon disagree, but if you are less than 6 months from surgery, this may well change. I generally recommend waiting at least 6-12 months before considering revision rhinoplasty, and that's even when both the patient and I agree that something more needs to be done! Scar tissue can soften and swelling can diminish, but perhaps there are other aspects of your post-operative result that you don't like.

You and your surgeon need more discussion, and the kind that is non-blaming, non-angry, and non-critical of your surgeon's efforts (of course he tried to do his best to make you happy!) tends to foster a team approach to addressing any real or perceived shortcomings in your result. Also understanding that revision surgery costs are your responsibility (hopefully discussed before surgery) helps your surgeon become less defensive and more focused on making you as happy as can be possible.

In some cases and patients, more surgery is NOT the right choice, and this may be the reason your surgeon is advising no revision. This could be because you have unrealistic expectations, unfavorable anatomy for your desired changes, or other issues your surgeon knows most about.

If you cannot agree, then you always have the option to see another qualified and experienced rhinoplasty surgeon (or two) and get more advice. Often this is all it takes to get some patients to see what their own surgeon is saying; in others, it is a whole new perspective and potential for improvement! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello Anon1336,

If I am not mistaken, you posted about your nose prior to your surgery?

Regardless, I am sorry that you are not happy with your nose. How long has it been since your surgery?  Did your doctor perform preoperative photographic morphing?  If it has been less than 6 months since your surgery, your nose could dramatically change, hopefully to your liking.  I tell all my patients that it doesn't matter if I'm happy with your nose,  you're happiness is all that is matters.  Since utilizing photographic morphing software, I have eliminated reoperation due to patient dissatisfaction in instances when I was quiet happy with the results.

If it has been less than 6 months, hang tight and re-evaluate your result with your doctor then.  If it has been longer, and you and your doctor dissagree, then you will need to get a second opinion.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS