I am not happy with my face, specifically chin and jaw. Could chin implant or sliding genioplasty be a solution for me? (photo)

I haven't been fully able to define what is off about my face, but one very apparent issue is definitely weak chin. Since I have previously had orthodontic treatment, my occlusion is fairly good. For that reason, I have considered getting a chin implant. However, this would not fix my jaw appearance. Also, it would not solve the functional issues that I have with my jaw -- whenever I take a big bite, it makes a clicking sound. So, maybe sliding genioplasty would be a better option for me? Thanks.

Weak chin

+3
Dear Ohmyjaw

the first thing you need to do is get a ful evaluation by an oral Maxillofacial surgeon. Although you have a what appears to be a weak chin the rest of your facial skeleton needs to be evaluated with radiographs and CT scans. This will although your surgeon to make a proper diagnosis and then give you the proper treatment plan. A chin implant will mask or camouflage whatever really is going on. Your clicking temporomandibular joint is only an issue if it hurts or gets locked open or closed. Otherwise it's more of any annoyance. Sliding genioplasty would not correct TMJ noises. Hope this helps 
Dr M

Middletown Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Sliding Genioplasty for Significant Horizontal Chin Deficiency

+2

It is your degree of horizontal chin shortness and your young age that makes the case for a sliding genioplasty. You have a horizontal deficiency of at least 12 to 14mms which is beyond what any performed chin implant can provide. Whether it be an implant or a sliding genioplasty, neither will provide any improvement in your TMJ clicking.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant for

+1
There is a significant amount of  recessive chin present, so a consultation with oral maxillofacial surgeon  would be a good idea to talk about a genioplasty.
 Chin implants are purely done for cosmetic purposes, and will not help with any functional issues in the jaw.