Not Very Happy About my Mini Tummy Tuck 2 Weeks Post-Op, Is This My Final Result? (photo)

Hi! I had a mini tummy tuck and lipo in september. It's been 2 weeks today since the MTT. I'm just wondering if I could still be swollen in my upper abdomen? The tummy tuck flattened my lower abdomen quite nicely..but sitting down I still have a roll hanging over my jeans. While my stomach looks decent standing, when i bend over..there is skin hanging off of my stomach. Is it possible that this will go away and I'm not giving it enough time? Also..is it possible to have a full tuck after a mini?

Mini vs. full abdominoplasties

+3

It is so difficult to answer this question only two weeks after your surgery.  This is a better question to ask six to twelve months after your recent surgery.  If the abdomen looks good when you are standing, it was probably the right procedure for you.  Excess looseness sitting may always exist, but when standing the looseness should disappear if the correct procedure was chosen by your Plastic Surgeon I perform many more full abdominoplasties than mini tummy tucks, but both can give great results if chosen for the right reasons.  Give it time to heal up, then  reevaluate.

Good luck 

Mini tuck postop

+2
You are still in the initial phase of healing so the swelling has to recede. I am always concerned when patients reference results against clothing. If the jeans were too tight. Then it would not be a surprise for the photo to demonstrate a bulge. Bending over is not the correct position from which to evaluate the outcome of a procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will continue to see changes since you are only 2 weeks out of your surgery. Assuming your surgeon is a well experienced  board certified plastic surgeon,  I would contain to follow-up with him/her for specific questions and concerns.

However, I am concerned that you will continue to be displeased with the results of the surgery given the limitations associated with the mini tummy tuck surgery.

In my opinion (generally speaking) the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery. 

Loose skin after mini tummy tuck

+1
It generally takes a few months to see the results of a tummy tuck. I would recommend you wait for up to 6 months after your surgery before assessing your results, then talk to your surgeon if you are still dissatisfied. A full tummy tuck may be performed at that time, although you should weigh the benefits of it since the scar will be more extensive.

A mini tummy tuck does address loose skin, however please note that loose skin above your navel may not have been positively affected as much as you would have hoped. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

It will get better..

+1
Two weeks after surgery is way to early to determine the final result. You are most certainly swollen. The final result is apparent at 4-6 months after your surgery. I suspect you will improve quite a bit. Good luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Need before photographic views to make a comment. It could be an acceptable result if you had hanging lower skin. It may not be the expectation of what you wanted. Please post before photo. 

Full tummy tuck vs mini

+1

This is the problem with mini tummy tucks. I am not a big fan of mini tummy tucks because most patients require tightening of the muscles above and below the umbilicus and are usually also botherd by lose skin above the umbilicus.  These are all best treated by a full tummy tuck.