Not Happy with Juvederm but DR Says It Looks Great, Won't Do Anything, is It Overfilled or Injected Wrong? (Pics)

I had 1 syr.of Juvederm in my naso. area 9 days ago. I had swelling/hardness, no more swelling now but still hardness & it's all in areas right above the lines I wanted to have filled. I have a round bump area on one side too. I went in yest, his nurse said they don't inject directly into the line but just around it, is that true? When I smiled before I had 1 line on each side, now I have 2, causing new lines. Seeing my pics can you tell me is it overfill or injected wrong? Will it settle more?

Swelling 9 Days Post Juvederm...

+1

You may still have swelling in the tissues surrounding the areas injected.  It is normal to feel the product because it is filling an area.  I would recommend giving yourself some more time for things to "settle", then if you are still unhappy with your results there is a product to reverse (dissolve) the injected filler.  Consult with your provider and he will give you those options.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens        

+1

Great posted photos but your issue is very self limiting. In that in 4 to 6 months the filler will be gone by the body's own metabolism. But if I was your injector, BTW who injected you the doc or his nurse?, I would offer a small injection of hyaluruodiase to try to dissolve the issue lump. Otherwise I'm sure you would never be back to see me for other issues or treatments. Also the location of the injections are dependent upon the injectors experience and training. 

Fillers and fine lines

+1

I like to use fillers not so much for fine lines( which one chases to superficially and then get bluish hue) to trying to increase volume in areas of depression.  Fine lines may be better off treated with laser peels.

Radiesse is Much Better than Juvederm for the Nasolabial Folds

+1

Radiesse has been proven to be much more effective than hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm for treatment of the nasolabial folds. The problem you are describing is most likely due to the use of a superficial "wrinkle filler" like Juvederm in this area instead of a "volume filler". Several years ago a study was done where Radiesse was injected into one nasolabial fold and, in the same patient, fillers containing hyaluronic acid such as Juvederm were injected onto the other nasolabial fold. The majority of patients and observers picked the Radiesse side as more natural looking. This is because of the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers.  Radiesse is injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect. It works by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why it is so effective, and gives longer-lasting results too. The photos below show the result of my injecting Radiesse in the nasolabial folds.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm results

+1

It is best not to assess Juvederm results immediately after injection. You may have swelling and irregularity for the first week or two. I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon and discuss the results if you are still unhappy after two weeks. It is possible that you need more Juvederm.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

What to expect from Juvederm around the mouth area

+1

Your pictures bring up a common problem I see after Juvederm injections.  I find it does not work well to smooth the deep dimple creases on the sides of the mouth.  I believe the gel consistency of the product is such that it can not stay stable in this area, and often gets pushed to one side or the other of the dimple every time you smile or move your mouth.  Overall your after picture shows a nice result along the nasolabial fold.  I like to warn patients in advance that there will be a limited effect from Juvederm in the dimple area.  At this point hopefully the lumpiness will soften up in a few weeks.  Otherwise go back to the doctor, and he/she can dissolve it in that area.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unhappy 9 days after Juvederm to the nasolabial folds.

+1

The Juvederm may still settle somewhat but it's difficult to say whetehr the Juvederm was used to overfill the area or some of it travel slightly above the NLF.  We always massage the are where the filler was injected immediately after the injection in order to smooth and feather the area.  You might want to go back to the MD that did the Juvederm and have this discussion.