Is It Safe To Overfill Implants 7 Months Post-Op?

Hi, I now have 7 months with my implants and Im not happy with them because I still have some extra skin. I went to seee my dr and he said that he can overfill the implants by doing a incision under the breast, my previous incision was under the arm. is it safe to go in and overfill an existing implant? Also one breast seems a little higher then the other. Please I need answer, I have children and I just want to be safe. now im 435 and i want go up to 500 cc. please help me. Thank you. PS. They are als a different size

Adding Volume after Breast Augmentation

+2

This does not sound like a good idea to me. I suspect that your surgeon already over-filled your implants following the implant guidelines. Going back in subjects you to the same risks as the original procedure, could negate the implant warrenty and cill result in firmer feeling breasts.  I suggest you accept what you have or if you are concerned enough, then consider a procedure to address properly all of your concerns.

Breast Revision

+1

It all depends on the size of the implant, and how much fill there was in them.  They usually allow 50-75cc overfill into each implant, some sizes are different.  Filling beyond that results in a distorted implant, and a compromise in the outcome.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision - Is It Safe To Overfill Implants 7 Months Post-Op?

+1

Hi,

There are several things to consider here, and the first is that adding even 65 cc is, in my opinion, not going to be adequate to enlarge your size AND will make your implants feel firmer than they are.  That is a bad combination.

You first have to see what size implants you have and how much saline was put in.  There is a recommended range for each implant and as you go up on the implant, they become more spherical (rounded) and firmer which are features that most people do not like.  It's not even clear that your surgeon can reasonably add some saline - if they are already filled to their recommended maximum then going beyond that is not necessarily beneficial and may be counter-productive, aside from any warranty issues.

I think that if you're unhappy with this size you have to try to decided how much larger you'd like to be and then see how practical that is (you may not have enough tissue to go as large as you like, and there are no 100% guarantees even if your surgeon believes there is adequate room for the size you want).  But even if you can go larger, it may be better to use a larger implant and make sure it remains filled to within the recommended guidelines for saline fill. 

Adding 65 cc does not necessarily sound like it will make you happy and so, with the understanding that I cannot make any recommendations without being able to see you in person and/or discuss these issues in more detail, I'm not sure that it's the best idea.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Overfilling breast implants

+1

First of all, your breasts look great. Secondly, ALL saline implants are supposed to be overfilled at the time of placement by about 10-30% to prevent visible wrinkling.  Filling the implants to a greater volume 7 months later is reasonable and safe, but will create a firmer implant that may be uncomfortable when you hug someone or try to sleep on your stomach.  If you have to be bigger your best bet is to change to silicone implants.  These are safe, soft, and, unlike saline implants, will last forever.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Not sure....

+1

Overfilling implants voids the warranty and only addresses volume issues. Are you sure the shape of your breasts and nipple position are not issues? Talk about the changes you would like with your surgeon before deciding upon surgery again.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling breast implants

+1

Sometimes patients think that it is "easy" to go back in and overfill an implant but there are risks associated with any surgery.  I don't normally recommend manipulating a breast implant valve.  You have to make sure that if you return to the operating room, you really communicate your goals to your surgeon so that you and your surgeon can discuss what procedure will give you the goals you want.

What was the implants size ?

+1

The overfilling the saline implants is an attractive option if they were not overfilled initially. If you had 425 cc implants and filled to 435,then you can overfill them to the 490cc( need to check the manufacture guide line). You need to make sure that that is going to be big enough.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling saline implants to reduce breast skin laxity?

+1

There are too things that can be occuring.  Your implants may be a little too small for your pocket, or more likely your breast tissue has excess laxity seondary to pregnancy.  I suspect that you may have needed a breast lift as well with your initial breast augmentation but this is hard to tell without the before photos.  Your options currently does include a larger implant which may include overfilling your current implants or a breast lift.  How much additional volume can be placed with your current implants depends on your implant.  They can be accessed through an incision in the breast fold or through one in the areola.  If you can easily move the breast tissue significantly on top of your muscle then this is another indication that you may need a breast tightening procedure (breast lift).

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD