What Happens to Your Skin After Smart Lipo?

I am considering smart lipo and was wondering what happens to your skin after the treatment, is it loose? Thank you.

Skin Tone after Smartlipo

+1

"Skin tightening" is a powerful description which is often used because the Smartlipo technology has FDA-approval for both lipolysis and skin tightening.  To date, I am not aware of any prospective, comparative studies which show enhanced "tightening" however from personal experience in comparing Smartlipo versus standard tumescent liposuction, the degree of skin smoothness and overall cosmetic results are superior with Smartlipo.  To some people the word "tightening" implies lifting or significant skin contraction, so I prefer to say that Smartlipo has a "smoothing and subtle firming" effect.  The mechanism is that Smartlipo delivers subdermal energy which stimulates collagen and clears residual lumps of fat in the superficial plane.

Also, I agree with prior posts which emphasize that baseline skin elasticity predicts response to Smartlipo.  Good luck with your procedure.

Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin

+1

A lot depends on the inherent strength and age of you skin. By lasering the under surface of your skin some tightening will occur.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Skin After Smart Liposuction

+1

Skin is always an obstacle for plastic surgeons. If you have good elasticity before surgery, you shouldn't have any issues with your skin retracting. However, if your skin is very loose, you may not have all the tightness you want. It's important to keep your expectations realistic. I do think Smart Lipo helps improve skin retraction. However, if I had to give it a percentage of how much it improves skin, I would say around 10%. Clearly, not a lot but it does help.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Skin following liposuction

+1

The first thing to consider is the persons age, the older we get, the less Collagen we produce. Collagen is needed to help with elasticity issues. Depending on how much is removed, a tummy tuck may be preferable if excess skin is going to be an issue.

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin effects after liposuction

+1

Following any form of liposuction the hope is that the natural elastin in the skin will allow it to shrink wrap around the new body shape.  This effect can be dramatic in some people but in most it is moderate.  Severe excess skin is not addressed by liposuction.  The only way to remove excess skin is through a lift.     

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo and skin

+1

I have not been impressed with the skin contraction that has been reported to occur with smartlipo.  The retraction in my opinion is no better than other forms of liposuction.

Liposuction and skin tightening

+1

The success of any form of liposuciton depends partly on the inherent condition of the skin. Individuals with poor skin elasticity, stretch marks and drooping are not good liposuction candidates no matter the type of device used.   There is skin retraction with all forms of  liposuction as the undersurface of the skin is scarred and the fat deposits are reduced.  It is unclear as to whether smartlipo actually helps tighten the skin any moreso than other techniques.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Studies Show Smartlipo Tightens The Skin

+1

Medical studies on Smartlipo show skin tightening and skin thickening.  The thermal effects of laser energy cause tightening of skin collagen, and also induce new collagen development.  Smartlipo has the advantage of an internal thermal guide to help limit the amount of heat, and optimize skin contraction without burning.  The laser probe may also be used to melt deeper fat.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon