What Happens to Your Belly Button After Liposuction?

I am considering getting liposuction on my abdomen and flanks. I am just curious about what would happen to my belly button after lipo (I have an innie) Is it replaced? My belly button is stretched out, but will the stretching lessen after lipo? Ultimately I would like my belly button to look very similar to someone who has an innie with naturally flat stomach.

Belly Button Position After Liposuction

+1

Hello. With liposuction the desired amount of fat is removed and the belly button remains in place. I cannot stress enough the importance of using an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. If your surgeon does not have the necessary experience they will not treat the area properly and the belly button could droop at the superior fold, resulting in more expensive revision surgery.

Jaime Perez, MD
Liposuction Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Liposuction will not change your belly button

+1
Liposuction will not have an effect on your belly button. If you are unhappy with its contour or it has stretched, then you may want to consider umbilicoplasty.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Appearance of the belly button after lipo

+1

If you are a good candidate for liposuction there will be no change in the appearance of your belly button. Small incisions are made at the pubic hairline and within the base of the belly button but the belly button is not replaced.

I am concerned about your statement that the belly button is stretched out. This implies that the skin has lost some of its elasticity. Liposuction can cause some skin retraction but a consultation would be important to understand the degree of laxity present. If the skin is inelastic then liposuction can deflate the skin and make the appearance of the abdomen worse. You may see the skin of the upper abdomen begin to fall over the belly button. We call this hooding.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your abdomen and explain the best options to achieve the results you desire. Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

+1

Getting liposuction does not change the way your Belly button looks.Without seeing pictures its hard to say what your results would be.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS