What Happens when You Have Threads and then You Want a Facelift?

Is a facelift possible after a thread lift

+4

Thank you for your question.  As other surgeons have stated it is certainly possible to have a facelift after a previous thread lift procedure.

If you have no depressions or other deformities associated with the thread lift procedure then a facelift possible.  Any scar tissue caused by the thread lift may result in a longer operative procedure being required but if there are no deformities caused by the threads you should expect a good facelift result.

Ineffectual thread lift no problem for subsequent facelift.

+1

In my opinion the thread lift yields very poor results. I've done a number of facelifts on patients after this unsuccessful technique. It's easy to remove the threads and doesn't really complicate the facelift.

Facelift after a Threadlift

+1

Threadlifts sutures are barbed sutures which can be quite difficult to remove.  During a facelift, the threadlift sutures can be readily seen and removed.  I prefer to remove threadlift sutures rather than leave them behind as they can become a nidus for infection.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts after threads...

+1

The sutures from the threadlift become encased in a collagen layer so they essentially become part of the body over time. When a facelift is performed, the dissection is often performed in a different plane than where the threads are placed, so there should be no interaction.  If they are encountered during a facelift then they can be avoided easily.  Either way, it won't affect the outcome of either the facelift or the previous threadlift.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Chata-

+1

A facelift may be done after a previous thread lift or facelift. A surgeon is just trying to optimize the distribution of the different tissue planes in as natural a way possible given what exists at that time in your life.

Best of luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thread Lift and Face Lift?

+1

Thank you for your question. This should pose no large problem other than the scar tissue that can accompany the threads. The dissection may take more time, but there should be no significant problems. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift then face lift?

+1

Dear Chata,

Thank you for your question.  This should not be a problem.  The sutures from the thread lift will probably be run into during the facelift and removed although, this is not absolutely necessary.  It will be nice to have your previous operative report for your surgeon to be aware of where the sutures are and how the operation was performed.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after a Threadlift? Response from a Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The "threads" from a prior procedure will not interfere with standard facelift techniques.  I have performed this on many patients with no ill effect.  The threads do not permanently affect the deeper tissue layer (referred to as the SMAS layer) that is necessary to tighten during a facelift, necklift, or mini-facelift.  Most of the time, those threads are simply removed during the procedure since they will no longer be serving any purpose.  Hope that helps! 

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift and having a face lift after this procedure

+1

If you would like a facelift after a thread lift, this would be okay. I have done this many times. The facelift would get you better results than the thread lift and during this procedure these threads can be removed as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift

+1

I have performed several facelifts on patients who previously had thread lifts done and there is no problem in such cases. The threads from the previous procedure don't make the facelift any more difficult or risky.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD