What Happens if I Wear Wire Bras After Surgery? Been 7 Wks & Doc Wants Me to Wait Months?

Using a Bali bra without a wire, and what does massaging the breast actually do? help them move closer or get them softer? I feel like the silicone shrinking & going down without wire

Bras after Augmentation

+2

When to start, and what type of bra to wear, after breast augmentation will vary from surgeon to surgeon. There is no right or wrong and tends to be the "art" of surgery rather than the "science". In my own practice it can depend on the size and shape of the actual breast, as well as the size and position of the breast implant. Once a bra can be worn usually elastic, but not wire, underwires  are preferred simply because they are more comfortable. The rigid wire can push against the incision if the inframammary approach is perform (which is the most popular). I would suggest following your own surgeon's instructions. You picked him/her for a reason. Good luck.

Bra use after augmentation

+2

varies with each surgeon.  But in my experience, as long as the wire doesn't pinch your breast or increase your discomfort, you can use them.  Massage in my practice is paramount in keeping the pocket open so the implant is 'softer' and have more natural movements and be closer together if that is what you are trying to achieve.  As for the silicone shrinking, it really can't since your body doesn't absorb it like it does saline.

Curtis Wong, MD

Bras and post-op after augmentation

+2

I think that it is best to follow your surgeon's instructions.  I personally ahve patients not wear an underwire bra especially when I use an inframammary incisoin for at least 6 weeks or until the sensation returns to the lower breast region.

Wearing Wire Bras after Breast Implants

+2

If your doctor wants you to wait before wearing a wire bra, I would follow that advice.  Wire bras can put pressure on incisions or healing tissue.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to evaluate the appropriateness of postoperative maneuvers.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA