Does Anyone Know What Happens to the People Who Have Had Bad Fraxel Laser Surgery Experiences After 3 Years?

Does extreme sun sensitivity of the skin eventually go away? Does the collagen regenerate in the skin sooner or later? Or does the laser damage to your skin continues to get worse in time? I'd like to think that our skin has the ability to heal itself in time. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Fraxel Laser Treatment Reaction

+1

Thank you for your question. Fair skin tends to be more sensitive to the sun. I would recommend avoiding sun exposure during the peak hours from 10-4p and applying SPF 30 with zinc every 2 hours. Laser treatments usually will help stimulate collagen and make the skin better not worse. I hope this helps.

Fraxel laser resurfacing for wrinkles, photodamage and acne scarring complications

+1

Not all fractional lasers are Fraxel. Fraxel has the Clear and Brilliant, Restore, Dual and Repair. The Fraxel Repair is the carbon dioxide laser and that might be the one that would be the most apt to make skin sun-sensitive but this is not common. The skin does have a great ability to repair itself and that is why Fraxel works so well for the majority of patients, as collagen production increases as a response to the Fraxel stimulation. We also see rare cases of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (darkening, especially with certain skin types) that correct itself. There are certain treatments that can help hasten this resolution.

Any patient that notes sun sensitivity after using Retin A (tretinoin) or Retinols, or having a dermabrasion or carbon dioxide laser, or any laser, should use a high level sunscreen.

Please see your doctor to ask specific questions about your skin's reaction to the laser treatment you had.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD