What Happens if I Swallowed a Piece of Crown That Broke on a Tooth?

What Happens if I Swallowed a Piece of Crown That Broke on a Tooth?

Doctor Answers (7)

Swallowed part of a crown

+3

This is something that happens fairly often and frequently people don't even notice that anything is wrong. In fact, sometimes entire crowns are swallowed without a problem. You should check with your dentist soon though, since the crown may have a sharp edge or need replacement.


Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Swallowing a piece of a crown

+1

The piece that you swallowed should pass out.  Contact your dentist to take a look at the crown.  The crown will most likely need to be replaced.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Corona Cosmetic Dentist

Swallowing a part of a crown is not dangerous

+1

Chances are the piece of the crown will pass  with out a problem, it  can take a day or two. It will be best to go to your dentist to make sure the remaining is safe and your tooth is fine. Keep in mind more pieces might broke off, because what is left is not intact anymore.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

You might also like...

Swallowed a Portion of Crown

+1

It is a fairly common occurrence for a patient to chip and swallow a portion of an older crown.  Do not be alarmed as you should pass it within a few days without even noticing it.  You will need to see your dentist to have the crown evaluated and potentially replace it.  Good luck.  

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Swallowed a piece of a crown?

+1

Usually a small piece of a crown will "pass through" within a few days, completely unnoticed. You should contact your dentist to evaluate the size of the missing piece, and to find out what you need to do now.  It is difficult to repair a crown with any long-term success, so a new crown may be in order.  Good Luck!

Andrea Stevens, DMD
Ottawa Cosmetic Dentist

Swallowing peice of crown- what to do?

+1

The best thing to do if you suspect a piece of a dental restoration like a crown has broke off and you might have swallowed it is to call your dentist as soon as possible.  He can have you visit him to see the size of the piece and determine if a abdominal xray is needed.  If you experience breathing problems or can feel something stuck in your throat getting to a hospital emergency room is the best option.  Normally, small pieces of porcelain or filling simply pass through the body without problem.  Your dentist is your best determiner of how serious your situation is, so don't hesitate to call him.  Good luck!

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Swallowing a part of a crown is not dangerous

+1

Chances are that the small part of the crown will pass in a day or two. We see this on a regular basis and most people do not realize that it happened! I would have your dentist check the crown because it might be necessary to replace it. Best of luck!

Zola A Makrauer, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.