What Happens to Streetch Marks During Breast Reduction?

Background: 32 yo, 34E (before & after kids), 5'5", 125lbs, never been overweight. Had triplets 2 years ago. I breastfed them for 6 months (went from E to J) which resulted in 1" wide stretch marks underneath my breasts. These stretch marks are extremely unsightly and awfully painful as the skin is so incredibly thin. I think my insurance will cover my reduction. I'm wondering what can I expect of these stretch marks after surgery.

Some stretch marks are removed during breast reduction

+2

Thank you for the question.  Stretch marks are tears in the deep part of the skin (the dermis).  We do not have a good way or reducing them without surgery to actually cut them out.  A breast reduction removes fat, breast gland, and skin.  Your plastic surgeon can mark the breast reduction pattern on your breasts to show you which stretch marks will be removed and which will remain.

Dr Remus Repta

The only way to remove stretch marks is to remove the skin that contains them.

+2

Part of a breast reduction includes removing excess skin following volume loss.  Any stretch marks that are part of this excision will be gone.  The others will persist.

Stretch marks much less noticeable after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Many stretch marks are removed during breast reduction.  And the ones that cannot be removed are smoothed out by the skin re-draping. The overall effect is usually significant improvement.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Stretch Marks & Breast Reduction

+1

In a typical breast reduction, the stretch marks which are located on the lower half of your breast would be removed.  Stretch marks on the upper half of the breast usually are not removed.  From your description, it seems that most of your striae would be gone.

John Whitt, MD

Stretch marks and breast reduction

+1

Stretch marks will not go away on their own. If they are in the excision skin pattern of the reduction , then they will be removed.

Does breast reduction remove stretch marks?

+1
Some of the stretch marks will be removed by the excision of excess skin during the breast reduction. However, some stretch marks may remain. Your plastic surgeon will be able to mark the areas which will be removed by the surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction and Stretch Marks?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

During breast reduction surgery, generally speaking, a significant amount of breast skin ( especially along the lower poles of the breasts) is removed. Obviously, any stretch marks in those areas will be removed during the breast reduction surgery. Stretch marks that are present outside of the skin excision pattern will remain postoperatively.

When you consult with board-certified plastic surgeons, they will be able to demonstrate more precisely what to expect with the breast reduction procedure.