What Happens if my Right Boob and Nipple is Numb?

I just had my breast augmentation and my right boob and nipple is numb. I was wondering if this numbness will affect breast feeding as well??

What Happens if my Right Boob and Nipple are Numb?

+1

Numbness anywhere on the breast, including the nipple, is very common after breast augmentation.

The risk is the same regardless of the incision, and seems to increase along with implant size.

Nerve recovery can be expected for up to 2 years after surgery, at which time about 15% of women will continue have some loss of sensitivity.

Loss of sensitivity will not affect the ability to breastfeed.

Don't be too concerned at this early stage of your recovery - you have a long way to go.

Good luck!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Numbness Post Breast Aug

+1

In my practice, I tend to discuss risks and complications of surgery with my patients  before their procedure. Numbness of the nipple is a common risk of breast augmentation surgery, but it tends to improve after 6-12 months after the procedure. If the problem continues, consult with your surgeon. There are some cases that the sensation will not come back after the surgery. Everyone reacts and heals from surgery in different ways. I hope the numbness goes away in time for you.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Numbness after BA

+1

You don't say how long ago your breast augmentations were, but it is not uncommon for numbness to occur for several months.  The nerves have been stretched over the implant.  As they come back to life you may experience hypersensitivity on your nipples and later brief shooting pains.  These are good signs and mean that recovery is occurring.  It is very unusual for the sensation to not return, but it could take up to a couple of years.  Your patience will be rewarded.  Decreased sensation has no relationship to breast feeding.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Nipple numbness after breast augmentation

+1

Nipple numbness after breast augmentation can occur and is a known "complication".  There are several reasons why it can happen but the good news is that sensation will usually return.  Also, numbness of the nipple should not affect future breast feeding.

The timing of when sensation returns depends somewhat on why it has happened and it can take as long as 12 months or more.  Reasons for developing numbness after a breast augmentation include the use of a peri-areolar incision for implant placement, large implant placement, significant swelling after surgery, and possibly subglandular placement of the implant.  It each of these cases, there is a higher risk to stretching or cutting sensory nerves to the nipple.  If a nerve is stretched due to swelling or during surgery, the sensation should return faster than if the nerves were actually cut and need to regenerate.  In most cases, sensation will return.   

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Numbness of the nipple following breast augmentation and the ability to breast feed

+1

Numbness of the nipple and breast does occur following a breast augmentation. Usually it is temporary, decreasing over a period of a few weeks to a few months. Sometimes, it can take a year to 2 years to regain the maximal amount of sensation. This issue is totally independent of the ability to breast feed - so don't worry. That is, even if there is permanent numbness of the nipple which is very rare, this will have no impact on being able to breast feed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Augmentation, Sensation, Breast feeding

+1

Numbess after surgery is not unusual. Most get better in weeks or sometimes months.  Permanant changes are unusual.

Breast feeding is a complex response affected by many factors.  Numbness may or may not change the ability to breast feed.

Nipple numb

+1

You did not say how long it has been since your surgery. if numbness occurs it is usually temporary so give it some time. the difficulty with breast feeding is that when the nipple is numb you will not know if the baby latches on and therefore it can be hampered.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after breast surgery

+1

Some degree of numbness is common after breast augmentation - most of the time the sensation returns within a few days/weeks.

The nerves carrying sensation have little to do with the milk glands - so please do not worry about breast feeding.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Numbness After Breast Augmentation...

+1

Nipple numbness is known possibility following breast augmentation, and all prospective patients should be forewarned.

This is caused by the need to cut or stretch nerves that otherwise stand in the way of properly placing the implant, and the surgeon has no way to avoid this. Also, as has been noted, nipple sensitivity may gradually improve for as long as 12 - 18 months following surgery.

This, however, should not impair your future ability to breast feed. I think you should take the nipple numbness in stride and try to not let it discourage you with your final result.

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

The feeling might still return

+1

All women seeking breast augmentation should be told that they might have numbness after the surgery. Although mot women do not have this problem, it does occur occasionally.

The feeling can recover if the nerve has just been stretched in surgery.

There is nothing that I know of that can be done to fix the nerve.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon