What Happens if a Post-liposuction Compression Garment Gets Wet?

My girlfriend just underwent liposuction surgery and has been instructed to wear a compression garment for one week straight, including during showers. Everything I've read seems to say that you should remove the compression garment for showering and I'm wondering if there are any dangers in not removing the garment. Any help is very much appreciated.

Wearing Compression Garment in the Shower

+1

I typically recommend removing the garment for showering and otherwise continuous wear.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Wet compression garment

+1

I don't recommend that you remove the garment for the first few days, when swelling is at its worst.  You can shower in the garment and use a blowdryer on it afterwards.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's instructions for postop care. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Compression Garment

+1

We instruct our patients to remove their garment during showers.  I am not sure how you could possibly go through the day after wearing the compression garment in the shower.  It seems to me that there may be a miscommunication with the patient and surgeon.  I would seek clarification from the surgeon's office.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD