What Happens if a Man Would Lose the Majority of His Donor Hair at the Back of the Head Through Burn Injury?

Hair Transplant Repair of Burns and Scars

+1

I am a specialist in these types of cases. If you have plentiful body hair, there may be a solution for you with body hair transplant. I specialize in an advanced form of follicular unit extraction (FUE) using uGraft, which makes almost all head and body hair viable donor sources for hair transplant. It may even be possible to repair the burned area. Of course, I would need to see you for an in-person consultation to better assess your hair loss and burn scarring. Not everyone is a candidate for body hair transplant.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Donor hair loss from the back of head

+1

If typical donor area has been injured there still may be adequate donor hair on the sides.

Jack Fisher, MD

Do burns affect hair grafting?

+1

The loss of donor site hairgrafts would be a real disappointment for the successful future possibilities for hair grafting.  We don't have a huge number of transplantable hairs on the head to begin with, and any significant loss such as a scarred scalp from a previous burn would certainly impact future  procedures.  Hopefully enough unscarred areas remain on the scalp.

Good luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Board Certified Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Hair Transplant Options

+1

It depends on the amount of area that you need to cover and the amount of donor hair that can still be used.  Find a transplant surgeon that you trust and for a more in-depth consultation.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Body Hair Transplants to the Scalp

+1

if you've lost most of your scalp donor hair, hair transplants from the body ( i.e. chest, beard, legs, etc..) can be used.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Burn injury of scalp

+1

I take it that you have a balding problem in the front and a significant burn scar in the back. You may have sufficient donor hair on the sides to get an acceptible but limited transplant result. If the burn scar in the back is not well covered, a tissue expansion assisted scar revision can be done. The scalp is a very good area for the use of tissue expansion to genrate tissue to cover an area after a scar is removed. You should be examined by a surgeon experienced in scalp reconstruction.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Donor site issues in hair transplantation

+1

If your donor supply is limited, then you may not be a candidate for hair transplantation.  Without an in-person consultation, it is impossible to make recommendations. Please contact your local hair transplantation surgeon so that you can be presented with all of your medical and surgical options. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon