What Happens if You Dont Wear Your Invisalign for About 2 Weeks?

I fell which resulted in a horrible cut lip. I could not put my invisalign on without my lip starting to bleed even though it was not deep enough for stictches. Its finally healed and I'm ready to start again but when I went to put the tray i was on back in the bottom was super tight it was painful. I had move to a older version of my tray because it hurt so bad. I want to think its because my teeth moved back while my lip healed. is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to take it from here?

What happens when you do not wear your invisalign aligner for 2 weeks

+1

Your teeth have probably started to move back to the old way they were. You did the right thing by putting your last tray back in, I would wear that for at least a week and then try again.  If it continues to be uncomfortable I would contact your dentist. 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Here are three simple ways to get back on track if you have not worn your Invisalign trays for two weeks (or longer).

+1

Remember that not wearing your aligner trays for two weeks or more during active therapy will almost always result in a degree of relapse. So, to get back on track after "driving in reverse" do the following:

1. Use the previous aligner tray prior to the "active" aligner tray that was interrupted.
  2. Change to the current aligner after a "reboot period" of about two weeks.
  3. Change aligner trays at night before bed which will make it easier to get in and out in the morning.

The bone around your teeth during any orthodontic movement is in a dynamic state of deposition (making new bone) and resorption (taking away old bone) and it is important for this process to not be interrupted by inconsistent or improper use of your aligner trays.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Go to your dentist/orthodontist

+1

I would recommend returning to your orthodontist/dentist to see what is going on with your trays and tooth movement.  More often then not, you can go back one aligner, wear that for 2 weeks, and return back on course.  Id put in the aligner that fits to stabilize your teeth and make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.

Bradley Matthew, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

What to Do After NOT Wearing Invisalign for 2 Weeks

+1

Sounds like you did the correct thing. Go back to the older tray and wear that for at least 1 week, and then continue with your regular schedule. To avoid confusion, go back on both the upper and lower trays.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth move when not wearing Invisalign trays

+1

There will be a day or two when the teeth hurt, maybe even badly.  It is not uncommon to need to revert back a tray to get teeth moving again, then progress as before.  It just means that you are about a month behind treatment, but it should not pose too much of an issue.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist