What Happens if I Don't Like the Way my Chin Looks with Fat Injections?

I already have a chin implant and its my second one but I have these dents on the side. My doctor wants to place fat injections. I am scared because I believe fat injections are permanent. What happens if I am unhappy? What can I do to get this right. I am now working with a very famous doctor and I had to wait 4 months to finally get to see him. This is what he is suggesting as he does not want me to continue to remove my implant. Should I be comfortable with his recommendation?

Facial fat grafting.

+1

My first question is why do you have the dents?  Is there a step off deformity that is visible from the implant causing this?  What plane is the implant in?  To answer you question, I sometimes inject saline in the office to show a patients what it would like filled before commiting to the fat grafting if it is a smaller area.  Fat grafting could leave it own set of problems behind but most often can softly correct contour irregularities.  50% of the grafts tend to survive on average and with new techniques we are seeing greater survival rates.  If you are unhappy with the result it can be challenging to fix it.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin implant and fat injections

+1

Thank you for your question. You raise a good point about fat injections - they may be permanent. That characteristic is both an advantage and a disadvantage of fat transfer. Dr. Lund's suggestion is reasonable and frequently employed. Your area of concern may be treated with a temporary filler to see if you find the change satisfactory. If you approve of the change imparted by the filler, then a potentially permanent treatment (such as fat transfer) may be employed with more confidence. An additional benefit of using a hyaluronic-acid based filler is that the effects may be reversed using hyaluronidase. I hope that helps.

James M. Pearson, MD

Chin Implant and Fat Injections

+1

First, are you happy with everything about your chin implant except for the "dents" at the sides?  If you like the projection and the position and the profile look it gives you, then you most likely do not need a new implant.  Sometimes with chin implants, even the "anatomical" ones, there can be a small visible step-off where the edge of the implant is.  This can be particularly a problem in very thin patients who lack the camouflage to hide the implant edge.  Fat transfers do work well if done correctly to hide these dents caused by the implant edges but you are correct in that fat once in, is hard to get out.  Try this first, ask your plastic surgeon to use a filler such as Juvederm or Radiesse to show you what the result would be if you had a fat transfer performed.  If you like the result, when the filler goes away-and it will, then you can proceed with your fat transfer.  If you don't like the result, then you know that a fat transfer will not be the answer and in fact, a chin implant may not be the answer.  By using the filler trial first, you will burn no bridges and it will help you know which direction may be correct for you.  Good Luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon