What Happens to an over Disected Pocket After Explant? (photo)

I had 330cc HP 7 placed months ago under muscle. My skin is very elastic, after 2 pregnancies I have a very flat tummy with no flab. I am possitive my skin will shrink back. I am just concerned, what happens to the bigger space that was cut for the implant? Does that close on itself.

Explantation and Tissue Shrinkage

After the implant is removed, the tissue should shrink and the space should seal.  The space can be closed with sutures.  The sooner the implant is removed the less the risk for tissue droop.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Your breast will usually return to it pre augmentation form and shape once the implant is removed. The pocket will collapse and seal.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

Dissected Pocket Collapses Post-explant Usually

Thank you for your post as well as your photo.

Theoretically, a good level of skin laxity and the collapse of the pocket after explant is performed are not directly correlated.

Usually, the pocket should collapse without any problem at 7 months post-augmentation. However, there are cases where the dissected pocket will be filled with fluid (different levels of seroma could take place depending on how much of fluid will the pocket get filled with).

At this point, it is important to communicate with your surgeon to assess you current situation.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Breast Shape after Explant

If you decided to remove your implants 7 months after your breast augmentation, your breast shape should shrink back to, or close to, your preoperative shape, especially if your skin is very elastic as you have described. The space that is left behind usually collapses onto itself. But, it can also fill up with fluid creating a seroma pocket. In some cases the scar tissue that forms around your implant (the capsule) is removed at the time of explant so that raw tissue surfaces stick together after the implant is removed. But in these cases, you may require a temporary drain. These treatment options should be discussed with your local plastic surgeon to determine which one would fit your needs.

Thanks for your question and photo. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

3998 Vista Way
Oceanside, CA 92056