What Happened? 1 Year After Breast Reduction and They've Grown Back.

I had a breast reduction 1 year ago: DD to a C. I'm not a FULL D! How did this happen? I had no major weight gain at all. After surgery we had some problems w the scars not healing and I had open woulds for several months after the surgery. I haven't been able to see my doc. about the growth b/c I've been out of the country. I'll see him in a few months. Should he be obligated to fix this? Or would I have to pay for a full new surgery again, which I can't do.

Breast Growth after reduction

+1
Yes, existing breast tissue can become larger after a breast reduction even if you haven't gain weight. A few of the more common reasons (besides weight gain) are use of hormones like birth control or others at the time of menopause, endocrinological problems, further normal growth if the first procedure was done at an early age, pregnancy related, and in many cases unexplained reasons. A secondary breast reduction can be performed once the cause is understood. Your fees were for the surgeon's time and best performance and never a guarantee that you will remain the same size in the future.

Re-do Breast Reduction?

+1

Yes it is possible that a repeat breast reduction procedure will help you.

One of the concerns  when breast reduction is performed is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue; it is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.
When repeat breast reduction surgery is performed it is important not to compromise the pedicle  that was developed in the previous breast reduction procedure.It may be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery.

I agree with your plan to visit your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns to the calm,  non-accusatory fashion.  Most plastic surgeons work hard to keep their patients happy making it likely that he/she will help you achieve your goals.

I hope this helps

Increase in Size after Breast Reduction

+1

I'm in agreement with the other surgeons.  If you have gained weight your breasts can enlarge again. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after a reduction

+1

You have not given all the details regarding your surgery and history. It is unlikely that the breasts have grown unless you gained weight or were not fully developed when you had them done.

Weight gain after breast reduction

+1

Any weight gain after breast reduction takes the doctor out of the equation for a free revision if your breasts are bigger than they were immediately after surgery.  You need to be at or below your preop weight.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

+1

Most increase in breast size following a reduction is weight gain. Breast is, essentially, composed of a hormone responsive tissue, or fat.  The increase in size is from either one.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Breast size increase after breast reduction surgery.

+1

This probably depends most on the age at which the procedure was intially done as well as your overall hormonal status.

Most cases of hypertrophy following reduction is due to weight gain. Since this is not your case, it is possible that you could have actual growth of the breast tissue due to hormonal changes.

A repeat breast reduction is possible but does involve some risk. It would be preferable for you to return to your original surgeon or at least get a copy of your operative report because this will effect the technique.