What Has Happened with my Implants to Result in Such a Difference?

I am 2 months post op 420 filled to 440cc saline high profile mentor smooth implants set under the muscle. I am 35, 110 lbs, 5'2". My left breast is significantly different than the right. They are uneven even in a relaxed state, but (as seen in the photo)when I flex the pectoral muscles, there is an obvious bump only on the left side. What has happened with the implant and the pocket, and what can I do now?

Left breast implant has failed to drop and revision may be needed

+3

Thank you for your question. The left breast implant has not descended into a symmetrical position with the right side. Although it is early in your postoperative. I would've expected more descent on the left than you have at the present time. Meet with your plastic surgeon and express your concerns. Most likely a revision will be necessary if the implant does not drop soon, however I would wait 3-6 months before a revision.If the left side feels firm, hard in the implant does not move, you may have a capsular contraction although it is early for that to occur.

Breast asymmetry 2 months out

+3

The left implant is sitting too high and will not drop into an anatomic position without surgery.  This is probably attributable to a component of capsular contracture.  I would approach this performing an inferior pole capsulectomy.  This involves removing the lower half of the capsule surrounding the implant and redefining the lower limits of the pocket.  The implant should be centered on the nipple.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

+2

It appears that your left breast has not descended into the proper pocket after surgery.  Depending on the tissue condition, this may be improved by massage or a breast band.  You may also have an early capsular contraction which would possibly require revision surgery.  See your surgeon for re-evaluation.  Donald R Nunn MD Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Fixing implant malposition

+1

Your left implant is sitting to high. Irregardless of the underlying cause, if the implant doesn't settle, you would likely need to have the implant repositioned. Implants can take up to six months to settle. Applying pressure in to the superior pole of the implant my help stretch the inferior pole soft fishes and assist the implant in settling. Also, wearing a bandeau support may help the implant settle without surgery. However, looking at your photos, I suspect you will need revision surgery. I would suggest you consult with your surgeon regarding the best option for you.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Significant breast asymmetry

+1
You have implants sitting at very different positions.
If this has been like this since the time of surgery, it is likely that the two implant pockets were created unevenly
If the right breast descended but the left stayed up high it is possible that there is something on the left side that was not completely released and did not allow your implant to settle into it's proper position
If the left side seemed to rise over time you may have developed a capsular contracture, although it's a little early for that.
Whatever may be going on, the difference between the two sides is too big to leave it alone.  You should talk to your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon so that he/she may examine you and treat you.  You will need a corrective surgery to give you better symmetry.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for posting the pictures.  It makes answering your question more useful and informative for other patients.  Your left breast implant, as you describe, is to high.  As others have said, it appears that the pocket on the left is malpositioned and the implant did not settle the same as the right.  Additionally, there may be a component of capsular contracture, but that cannot be determined by photographs alone.  Did the implants start out even, but the left one raised up on your chest wall.  Or, were both implants high and the right one settled further?  Hopefully you are able to discuss your situation with your surgeon.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Augmentation Asymmetry

+1

There are many possible explanations for your breast augmentation asymmetry and you may never know exactly why but the important thing is you need the left fixed. The left breast will need a small revision of the lower pole to get that implant in a position that approximates the right side. This is usually a simple operation. I am sorry that you have to go through that but you should still get a very nice result. 

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

After breast augmentation it is possible to have asymmetry of the implant pockets.  In your case, it appears that the implant did not settle into its pocket or the pocket was created too high on the left.  If there was significant swelling and busing of this side immediately after surgery, a hematoma may have played a part.

It is too early to decide whether this will require additional surgery or not (although it is a fairly significant asymmetry and I would guess that it will eventually require revision).  Revision should wait a few more months for accuracy.

I would recommend that you visit your plastic surgeon.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Implant problem

+1

Being that you are two months out, the left implant should have come down a bit at this point.  You may have developed a capsular contracture.  HAve your surgeon look at it.

Breast implant malpoistion

+1

At this early time postop, I couldn't invoke a capsular contracture as your problem, more likely some problem with asymmetrical pocket creation or a hematoma on that left side.  Either way, you will for sure need surgery as this will not self-correct in my opinion.  Crease and pocket adjustment, maybe scar tissue removal and replacement of the implant.  Good luck!  Make sure yours is an experienced real plastic surgeon not a "cosmetic surgeon" who has had no formal board certified palstic surgery training.  If your was not a real plastic surgeon (it amazes me how many there are out there!), please consider going to a real one even if it costs you more because multiple revisions are not where you want to go.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS