Breast Augmentation Vs. Breast Lift - What Can I Expect?

what will happen if im told i may require a breast lift but opt to just have augmentation. i am getting breast augmentation done due to loss of weight and breastfeeding but have now been informed that i am a candidate for a lift, but am highly agains having one done as i am only 24 now with not alot of sagging and do plan on having more children in my late 20s, but what will happen and what sort of look can i expect if i just have the augmentation rather than the lift??? any help would be great.

Breast augmentation vs. Breast Lift

+2

Photos would have been appropriate so we could determine the amount of ptosis you have. But if you do only a augmentation the "double bubble" effect could happen. Be careful out there.

Implants won't lift the breasts

+2

Many patients get confused about this process but it is really quite simple.  Implants make you bigger and lifts elevate the nipple and reshape the breast.  They can be done separately or together.  If you need a lift and only have the implants, you will likely not think the result looks very pretty.  However, if you really want to hold on the lift you can do the implants and wait and see and do the lift later if you realize and accept that you need it for the best look.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implants instead of a recommended breast lift will not look right

+2

Each procedure addresses a specific problem: implants restore or add volume, a lift corrects sagging. Since these problems often occur together, it is common to do both a lift and implants. There are some cases where adding volume with implants fills up the loose skin enough to avoid the need for a lift, but this is not typical for a case with weight loss and prior breast feeding. When the implants are used instead of a lift, the result can be what is called a "rock in a sock" which I am quite sure you don't want. So just like you can't fix a gallbladder problem by taking out the appendix, you can't correct sagging with implants.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast lifts and augmentation

+2

In general, if you need a lift, it is probably wise to have it, otherwise you will likely end up with large, sagging breasts.  You can certainly opt to have the augmentation first, then see how it looks and have the lift as a second procedure, but the likelihood is you will need it.  If you are planning on have more children soon, then I think waiting until after you have started your family to have the breast surgery is the way to go.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Consequences of having a Breast Augmentation instead of a Lift or an Breast Augmentatiion-Lift

+2

No one likes to have scars and many women mistakenly have Breast Augmentation in the hope that increasing the size of the breast would spare them from having a Breast Lift and scars on their breasts.

Unfortunately, this analogous to those who run around their backhand in Tennis always trying to hit forehands. It rarely works and most of the time it catches up with you.

If you are going to have children in the next few years it may be best to postpone ALL breast surgery until you completed your family. Pregnancy and breast feeding will change your breasts and rarely for the better.

If having children is farther in the future, you need to decide if you are happy with the volume of your breasts-the way they fill a Bra. If you are happy with their size then all you need is a lift to make them perkier.

If you wish your breasts were larger you need a Breast Augmentation. If the breasts are saggy and you want them higher and perkier you need a Breast Lift.

Placing breast implants in sagging breasts will result is larger, sagging breasts. An implant will never lift a breast for a long time and the larger the implant the quicker the sagging associated with it.

Something to think about.

Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift?

+1

What you will look like after breast augmentation will largely depend on what you look like before the surgery. For example, if you have a  great degree of “sagging” now you will likely be very disappointed with the results of surgery. Hopefully, plastic surgeons will not offer you the breast augmentation alone if  you have breast ptosis present.

I would suggest that you undergo the procedure that will best treat the current “diagnosis”;  if not you will be dissatisfied and will likely require further surgery.

Generally, if you're able to wait until after completing pregnancies you'll be better off.

SEE VIDEO BELOW: Breast implant augmentation without a lift

+1

IF you hav an implant only, it is likely that you will create a breast that has a nipple that sits below the "equator" of the implant.

Breast augmentation +/- lift

+1

If you are unsure if you want a lift which will add more incisions on your breast you can always stage it if you are unsure and have them augmentation first and see how they look, But, if you need a lift then you will nee it after the augmentation.

Choosing Breast Augmentation when you really needed a Breast Lift

+1

If you really have deflated droopy breasts (which is quite possible after breast feeding and weight loss), you actually have more skin than you might think.  If you decide to go with just using implants, you are committing to fairly sizable implants to have your breasts look normal.  (If you chose implants that are proportionate to your frame but do not fill-out the skin envelope, you might either result in the "rock in a sock" look, or a "snoopy" appearance where the breast hangs off the implant.)  This certainly will not fix nipple positional issues (these tend to look worse when the breasts are larger), and when you finally decided to proceed with a lift, you will be at much higher risk for complications (including nipple death).  For certain patients who have chosen this route, the old implants will need to be removed at the time of the lift, and only later can new (smaller) implants be replaced after everything has healed.  These types of revisionary surgeries consume a lot of your time and are expensive.  Yes--a lift does result in more visible scarring than an augmentation, but I'd advise doing nothing rather than heading down a path that leads to complications.  I have a video that reviews some aspects of choosing a breast augmentation vs a breast lift - I think you will find it helpful.  Follow the link.

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS