What Will Happen in Regard to Weight Loss Now That Those Stomach Fat Cells Are Gone?

I've recently had lipo on flanks and abdomin and had about 3000cc of fluid removed. I could still stand to lose 10 lbs...usually when I lose weight it drops from my face and legs first and then slowly in the stomach region. What will happen in regard to weight loss now that those stomach fat cells are gone?

What happens to fat cells after liposuction?

Dear Augusta,

The first thing I tell all my liposuction patients is that liposuction is NOT a weight loss procedure. Liposuction is meant to shape and/or sculpt a particular area. We do not remove all fat cells, just the excess fatty tissue. The cells that are left behind may get smaller or bigger with weight loss or weight gain, but usually only do so with larger gains or losses. If you maintain a rather stable weight (ie. 5-10lbs, depending on your size) the areas treated do not fluctuate much, if at all. You will however, gain or lose the weight from other areas on your body. Watching your diet and regular exercise are always encouraged. Good luck.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

4825 Olson Memorial Highway (Hwy 55)
Minneapolis, MN 55422

Weight loss post lipo

Good question.I always tell patients they are genetically programmed to gain/lose weight in certain areas.soem gain or lose in their face others in their hips.I say lose the weight and see where it settles.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Weight Loss following Liposuction Surgery

Although you may feel as though you lose weight from a certain area of your body first, in reality your fat cells are shrinking all over your body as you lose weight.  After having liposuction surgery on your stomach and flanks, the fat cells that still remain in those areas will continue to respond to weight loss just as they did before the surgery.  The remaining fat cells on your stomach and flanks will continue shrink with weight loss and expand with weight gain.  

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

1050 Beecher Crossing North
Columbus, OH 43230

Losing Weight After Liposuction

Not all fat cell were removed from the stomach area, you have fat cells throughout your body. If you gain weight you may find existing fat cells enlarging in other parts of your body. And if you lose weight it can be from anywhere you have fat stored.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Liposuction and Weight Loss

Liposuction is essentially a "finishing" or contouring procedure NOT a weight loss procedure. The maximal amount of weight that can be safely removed in an outpatient setting is around 10 pounds.

The fat cells left behind after a liposuction IF EXPOSED to a large caloric intake WILL GET LARGER. In other words, liposuction may speed your appearance improvement but you must continue to watch your diet and exercise for the rest of your life.

Peter A Aldea, MD

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Weight loss after liposuction

Of course, the best results from liposuction are seen when individuals are at the weight that they will remain at after the procedure. Liposuction is a sculpting procedure which leaves the most attractive contours as the end result. You can lose and hopefully not gain weight after liposuction. What will happen if you lose ten pounds? Good things I hope.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016