What Will Happen in Regard to Weight Loss Now That Those Stomach Fat Cells Are Gone?

I've recently had lipo on flanks and abdomin and had about 3000cc of fluid removed. I could still stand to lose 10 lbs...usually when I lose weight it drops from my face and legs first and then slowly in the stomach region. What will happen in regard to weight loss now that those stomach fat cells are gone?

What happens to fat cells after liposuction?

+2

Dear Augusta,

The first thing I tell all my liposuction patients is that liposuction is NOT a weight loss procedure. Liposuction is meant to shape and/or sculpt a particular area. We do not remove all fat cells, just the excess fatty tissue. The cells that are left behind may get smaller or bigger with weight loss or weight gain, but usually only do so with larger gains or losses. If you maintain a rather stable weight (ie. 5-10lbs, depending on your size) the areas treated do not fluctuate much, if at all. You will however, gain or lose the weight from other areas on your body. Watching your diet and regular exercise are always encouraged. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/dr-gervais.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss post lipo

+1

Good question.I always tell patients they are genetically programmed to gain/lose weight in certain areas.soem gain or lose in their face others in their hips.I say lose the weight and see where it settles.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss following Liposuction Surgery

+1

Although you may feel as though you lose weight from a certain area of your body first, in reality your fat cells are shrinking all over your body as you lose weight.  After having liposuction surgery on your stomach and flanks, the fat cells that still remain in those areas will continue to respond to weight loss just as they did before the surgery.  The remaining fat cells on your stomach and flanks will continue shrink with weight loss and expand with weight gain.  

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight After Liposuction

+1

Not all fat cell were removed from the stomach area, you have fat cells throughout your body. If you gain weight you may find existing fat cells enlarging in other parts of your body. And if you lose weight it can be from anywhere you have fat stored.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/pro_lipo.html

Liposuction and Weight Loss

+1

Liposuction is essentially a "finishing" or contouring procedure NOT a weight loss procedure. The maximal amount of weight that can be safely removed in an outpatient setting is around 10 pounds.

The fat cells left behind after a liposuction IF EXPOSED to a large caloric intake WILL GET LARGER. In other words, liposuction may speed your appearance improvement but you must continue to watch your diet and exercise for the rest of your life.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Weight loss after liposuction

+1

Of course, the best results from liposuction are seen when individuals are at the weight that they will remain at after the procedure. Liposuction is a sculpting procedure which leaves the most attractive contours as the end result. You can lose and hopefully not gain weight after liposuction. What will happen if you lose ten pounds? Good things I hope.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/liposuction